This Could Be the End of Everything

It had been days and he just laid in that bed, eyes seemingly glued shut and beeps resounding to the sound of his heartbeat.

When his eyes finally did slowly open, the room was empty and the windows open, a warm breeze brushing his cheek, as if telling him it was time to get up. He took a deep breath and sat up, looking around slowly.

He sighed and pulled out his iv's carefully, sliding a hand against the walls as he walked tenderly. He wandered down the halls, but stopped dead in his tracks as something shattered behind him.

"Jasper?" He turned slowly and Marie stood, the remains of a pitcher at her feet, hands over her pink mouth. "Marie..." He jumped forward and wrapped his arms around her gently, but she gripped him viscously, as if letting go would mean losing him again.

"Are you ok?" He asked, moving to hold her soft and chubby face in his hands. "Me?" She cried. "What about you?" "I'll be fine-" But he was cut off by soft footfalls and a voice. "Marie, whats takin-"

He froze in his tracks. "Holy shit." He rushed forward and Jasper softly let go of the girl to grip the boy in a hug. "Jesus Jas..." He sniffled. "I thought you'd never wake up, I'm sorry we weren't there." He shook his head, brushing the other boy's bangs away. "You're here now." 

Suddenly, a shadow loomed over the two and they turned to find Alcarion standing at the end of the hall. "Jasper?" He asked quietly. Jasper froze.

He didn't know what to do, but as he stood there and stared, he soaked in everything about the prince standing in front of him. He was unusually hunched, unlike his usual arrogant straight back and puffed chest. No, it looked like the weight of the universe was solely on his shoulders.

His eyes were sunk in and he almost swore the alien looked paler, and his long hair, which was usually silky and forbidden to be anything but smooth and beautiful was knotted and tangled, a disastrous mess that flowed down his back.

He looked....horrendous. The prince, which was usually the epitome of beauty, strength, and dignity, had entirely come apart at the seams. And then something even more unexpected happened.

Tears. Tears began to flow from the princes brown eyes, the only human trait he possessed. Tears streamed down his cheeks and he dropped to his knees, a sob of relief wrenching its way out of him despite all his efforts to keep it in.

"Alcarion?" Jasper jumped, shocked at the sudden display of such emotions from someone who had been so neutral before. He watched as the prince fisted his hands into his hair, taking large breaths. And then finally his feet moved.

Jasper stepped forward and gripped the alien in a hug, petting the head that came to rest on his chest. "It's ok, I'm right here." The prince wrapped his arms around him and squeezed him tightly.

When the alien eventually calmed down, he scoffed and lifted a hand to Jaspers cheek. "What a shameless display, I apologize my love." He rolled his dark eyes and kissed his head. "Alcarion you shouldn't apologize for being upset, I certainly won't and I wouldn't expect anyone else to."

The alien kissed the boy's dark chest and smiled. "I'll do whatever you suggest." "We should continue our picnic!" Marie chirped excitedly. "It wasn't the same without you..." She said quietly. "Alright then, we shall." Alcarion announced.

"But..." Torren began, but shook his head. "Never mind, let's go." He grabbed Jaspers hand as they all made their way back outside, leaving the shattered pitcher behind.

They sat down together on the blanket surrounded by food and smiled. "Let's eat." Jasper suggested and picked up a small fruit, dropping it into his mouth with a small smile. Everyone smiled and followed his lead, beginning to eat happily.

"Isn't it so nice out today?" Marie smiled as the breeze pushed her hair from her face. Alcarion smiled and kissed her cheek. "It's lovely out dear." Jasper nodded, smiling happily, but Torren frowned, picking at the skin around his nails.

"Are you ok Torren?" Jasper whispered. "Huh? Oh, yeah." He smiled and nodded, snagging a piece of fruit. Jasper looked wary, but didn't say anything else, but as time pressed on, he watched the boy gradually become more irritated, and eventually, he popped.

"Are you three serious right now?" Torren has a white knuckle grip on a blade of grass and they all froze and stared at him. "What's wrong?" Marie asked quietly. "I don't get it!"

He shouted, climbing to his feet. "Why are we all just pretending this didn't happen?!" Marie stared at him. "Well...we're not...we just got him back, we just want it to be a good day..." She was nearly whispering.

"Oh so if we just pretend nothing happened it'll all go away?!" "He almost fucking died!" Marie fell silent and allowed her hair to fall over her eyes and Torren began to storm off. "Marie..."

She rubbed away the tears on her cheeks. "It's ok, I know he didn't mean it, and he'll apologize when he calms down." Jasper held her cheek gently. "He shouldn't have said that." She shook her head.

"He took it really really hard, you being in a coma." She sighed and put a hand over his. "He didn't think you were gonna wake up, and for a bit, neither did any of us, eventually I realized I just had to trust you, but he didn't see it that way," She explained, staring at the grass the swayed in the breeze soothingly.

"He really thought he was going to have to say goodbye." She shook her head again. "Which of course, doesn't excuse his anger towards me, but still..." Jasper kissed her gently and leaned back "I'm gonna talk to him." She smiled and nodded as he stood from the blanket and began to walk away.