Chapter 40: Realizations

Confused was the only word which could describe Naruto's state of mind. He was currently all alone in what seemed to be an endless space, there was nothing anywhere, just everywhere there was white color.

"Where am I?" thought Naruto curiously, he certainly didn't expect to be in such a place.

He was certain that he was dead, Zabuza's attack had teared him apart. Naruto knew there was nothing he could do now, but more than that he was relieved. His suffering was over, everything was finished.

Hell or Heaven- he didn't care where the Shinigami would send him, anywhere but the world of living was where he wanted to go.

He had failed- plain and simple, he was a person who could never fulfill any promises he made, and frankly he had suffered enough for his actions. Maybe, now he could finally rest in peace.

But right now looking at this empty space, made him a little concerned.

"We need to talk..." said a very familiar voice, that sent shivers down his spine.

This voice, he knew this voice, how could he forget? But there was no way, he was hallucinating, this was simply impossible. He slowly turned around, and his worst fears came true.

"Brother..." said Naruto in shock, as right now the person standing behind him was none other than Shin himself.

That face, that uniform, those eyes, the same kind smile, this was definitely Shin. But he was supposed to be dead...

"I know you have a lot of questions and I have some questions for you too...but still, it's good to see you again," said Shin kindly with a smile, and hugged Naruto slowly,

Naruto didn't know what was going on, but he was happy, and gently hugged Shin back. A lone tear slipped from his eye, it had been so many years.

All this time, not a single second passed where he never thought of Shin, the guilt was still in his heart...and seeing Shin again, was one of the most happiest things that ever happened to him.

"I missed you, man" said a tearful Naruto, and a small chuckle escaped from Shin's mouth, even he was feeling happy on seeing Naruto again.

"You seem to have grown up a lot since the last time I saw you..." said Shin happily, but he knew there was not much time.

"What is this? Is it heaven or hell? It's definitely not hell, since you wouldn't be in such a place, Hell is for people like-" said Naruto but was cut off when Shin bonked him hard on his head.

"That hurts..." whined Naruto playfully,

"This is what you have to change, and as for your question this is neither heaven nor hell. In simple words you are inside Ryujin Jakka's inner world," explained Shin simply, and the confused look on Naruto's face made him leave a tired sigh.

"Ryujin Jakka is a sword, and you died years ago...I don't understand," said Naruto with a deep frown,

"There are many things you don't know about this sword, right now you are on the verge of death, but I can save you," said Shin flatly

"No"

"What?" asked a shocked Shin, what was going on here?

"This is my choice...I've made my peace with death. This is the end of the line for me," said Naruto truthfully, and his eyes showed Shin that he meant what he said.

"Moron...I can save your life, you can have another chance, and go back-" said Shin but was cut off, when Naruto looked at him angrily,

"Go back to what? A life of pain, and suffering, existing in this world that knows only despair has no value, brother," said Naruto distastefully,