1

Heeseung sat on the wet sand, the low tides touching his feet, the air was windy, and the sky was gloomy.

The long-sleeved shirt was providing him warmth, even though he was wearing shorts.

He continued staring at the gold locket he was holding, the photo of him and Hae within the necklace.

His gaze averted up, looking around.

He remembered everything about her as clear as day. Everything from her long flowy hair, her little mole on her nose, and her big doe eyes.  He was no longer going to be able to hear that obnoxious laugh and her soft and sweet voice anymore. She was now just a thought in his brain, another person who left his life.

Heeseung turned his head around, looking at the houses behind him.

In his mind, he saw her closing the backdoor, running straight towards him, embracing him in a hug.

He closed his eyes for a brief moment, opening them again. Nothing, there was nothing there.

Hae wanted to be cremated, and her ashes spread in the sea. Hae, a name that meant ocean, or sea.

Heeseung chuckled, "You really are the sea now, aren't you?"

His smile fell, and he took another look at the locket, clenching his jaw. A tear fell, more pouring after that.

It's only been two weeks since the memorial. He didn't cry during it but instead stared off, getting lost in his own thoughts, trying to process it all. And now, finally understanding it, it hit him like a wave.

All that was going through his head was why? Why did she leave him all alone, knowing that he had no one else but her?

He wiped his tears with his sleeve, "What am I supposed to do now, Hae?"

"In this small little town, you were the only person I had, " he let out a chuckle, "I'm no longer able to hug you, kiss you, and let you know I love you."

"Living and dying, that's the whole point of life, right, Hae?" he spoke, "It's not fair that you barely lived, " he whimpered.

He continued speaking to himself, until a voice interrupted him.

"Who are you talking to?" someone spoke from far away.

Heeseung turned his head immediately, only to see a girl he had never seen before.

"You sounded pretty upset, " she said, giving the boy a comforting smile.

The girl made her way to sit beside Heeseung, and he watched her sit down beside him.

"The name is Akino, " she stuck out her hand for him to shake. He didn't speak and moved his gaze back to the water. "Okay, " she chuckled.

"What's on your mind?" Akino asked him, trying to make conversation.

"None of your concern, " Heeseung finally talked, annoyed with the girl already.

Akino's eyes moved from Heeseung and to the locket he was holding, "What's inside?"

Heeseung ignored her, putting the locket in his in his short pocket.

"Are you shy? Introverted?" Akino bombarded the boy with questions.

"No, yes, leave me alone," he answered the girl's questions.

"I need a friend, " she shrugged her shoulders. "I live in that house," she pointed to the big beach house beside Heeseung's.

It was Hae's house, her old house.

As soon as Hae's memorial was over, her parents packed up and sold their house. They couldn't bear to be living in a place that only caused them pain. They told Heeseung if he ever wanted to meet or just stay with them, to let them know.

Heeseung loved them like he loved his own parents, and it was heartbreaking for both them and him when they left.

"Fun," Heeseung said, monotonously.

"Why were you screaming earlier? You sounded sad," Akino wondered.

"Because I am," he retorted.

"And why is that?" she inquired another question.

Heeseung snickered softly, "You sure are a curious girl."

Akino grinned, "Finally, a laugh!" she shook her head, "I was getting tired of that monotonous voice."

Heeseung couldn't help but smile, making Akino smile along with him.

"I'd better get going," Akino stood up, "goodbye, boy-who-was-crying-earlier."

As she walked on the sand, Heeseung watched her figure grow smaller.

"Heeseung," he yelled out.

Akino swung around, "Who's that?" she screamed.

"Me," Heeseung exclaimed again, "That's my name."

The corner of Akino's lips turned, making her smile to herself, "Nice to meet you, and goodbye, Heeseung!"

And ultimately, Heeseung honestly smiled.

—————