Chapter 23: Weekend Mood

Shania came into the dining room for breakfast with low energy and a pout. She was annoyed that she had to wake up early in the morning for school on a Saturday. Despite having tuition and other activities, she was allowed to sleep in till 9am on Saturdays in Singapore.

"Wow someone is in a foul mood this morning," Chris commented.

Tina came in to the dining room with a hairbrush and hair supplies. She started combing Shania's hair but Shania shrugged her shoulders indicating for Tina to stop. Seeing that, Chris took the brush and nodded to Tina letting her know that he'd take over. 

While brushing his sister's hair, Chris knew that she was frustrated and upset. "I'm very proud of you for being here for breakfast and ready to go for class," Chris said trying to lift his sister's mood up. 

"Whatever," replied Shania as she stabbed a piece of strawberry with her fork. "Naya, that's not how you reply to a compliment. Especially from your brother," Papa Lee said as he reads his newspaper. 

Chris was done brushing Shania's hair and she stood up and started to walk away from the dining table. "Shania Lauren Lee, that is strike one for today," Papa Lee shouted as he watched her stop in her tracks. "But what did I do?" Whined Shania. "Come back here and excuse yourself!" Papa Lee pointed at her seat.

Shania stomped her feet as she walked towards her seat on the dining table and sat down. "Now use your manners and words to excuse yourself out," Papa Lee scolded. "Please excuse me," Shania asked.

"You are excused. Have a great day of school," Papa Lee replied.

"Thank you and enjoy the rest of your breakfast," Shania said as she stood and walked out of the dining room.

In the Classroom

"Shania, I see that your 'out' tray still has the three worksheets you're supposed to do as homework since Thursday," Colin said as he picked out the worksheets. Since Shania is the only student in class, Colin has an office 'in/out' tray for Shania's homework. 'Out' is for homework assigned and 'in' is for Shania to submit the homework that she has completed so Colin could grade them. "It's now Saturday," Colin raised his eyebrows. "Oh? I didn't check the tray. I'm sorry," Shania replied rather nonchalantly.

"You remember what I said about the pink slip?" Colin trying to remind Shania that it's not fun and games. Recalling that the pink slip would warrant an acknowledgement from either Papa Lee or Chris, Shania started feeling scared. "I'm really sorry, Sir, I'll do them after our last period today," Shania hoped Colin wouldn't give the pink slip. "Okay, I'll let this one go since it's our first week together. This will be your warning to always check your homework tray daily," Colin replied.

Third period ended and Colin left Shania to be in the classroom by herself as she had homework to complete. Since lunch time with the family is right after third period, Chris was walking to Shania's classroom when he met Colin at the corridor.

"Hey Colin! How's it going? Shania was rather grouchy this morning, wasn't she?" Chris asked Colin as they gave each other a fist bump. "She was, but she picked up fairly quickly after I threatened her with the ruler," Colin replied. 

"She's still inside?" Chris asked.
"Yea, she's doing her homework that she overlooked since Thursday."
"Did you give her a pink slip?"
"Nah, I figured it was our first week together and she's still getting used to things."

When Chris entered Shania's classroom, he found her seated on one of the chaise watching TikTok on her phone. He was rather irritated as she was supposed to be either doing her homework or in the dining room since lunch was scheduled to start 15 minutes ago and everyone should be waiting for her right now.