Unfamiliar footsteps || chapter 1

Varian shuffled his feet, The emptiness of the dungeon making every noise he makes echo louder than one of his experiments exploding. Because of the danger he caused on that one fateful day he was placed into a special cell. The cell was the only one on that particular floor, and it was specifically designed to be resistant to whatever he could conjure up to melt the bars and escape.

Most of the guards were out for the day and it was only the two nighttime security guards remaining to guard his cell. These guards, however, Varian guessed were just swapped out from the ones who usually stood there, as he had never seen them before. The guards that would usually stand and guard his cell were approximately of equal build, but the new ones had a noticeable size difference, one of them was quite scrawny and short and the other had a more solid frame.

Varian estimated that It was a few hours into the night by now. The shorter guard kept falling asleep on his partner's shoulder and then being woken up shortly after by the other guard. At the start of his stay, Varian was provided a piece of chalk by the princess as a means of entertainment on the terms that he wouldn't try to create an escape route with it. Varian, of course, accepted the deal and has used it more of a way to track how long he's been here by writing tally marks on the walls every time the night guards were swapped in. Varian thought it was ironic how they let him have the chalk but made Ruddiger stay outside.

He was about to write today's tally and go to sleep on the steel "beds"
When he heard a set of light footprints the likes of which he hasn't heard before, they weren't clicky enough to be the Queen's shoes but they were definitely not barefooted like the princess. Varian then heard a very light "bonk!" quickly followed by an assumably young woman wearing a dark hooded cloak whispering "ahhh, I'm sorry! I don't think you'll suffer any injuries.. Hopefully"

The commotion happening outside his cell was enough to have Varian poke his head to the edge of his cell.  The girl noticed Varian and tiptoed over to his cell.

"Varian!!" the girl whisper-yelled, nearly halfway to his cell by now. Varian racked his brain for something to respond with before his thoughts were being cut short by the girl inserting a key into the cell lock. "I hope you're Varian anyway, there's not many people with blue hair in this city I mean." she chuckled.

"Wh-Who are you??" a very puzzled Varian asked, backing away a few inches from the door "is this a tra-"

"Quiet, quiet!" the girl shushed. She pointed upwards to the floor above where Varian could barely hear the prisoners mumbling confused words. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "but I promise I'll explain everything to you once we get out of here"

".. Fine." Varian huffed, he was still lost on why this was all happening, but if it gave him a second chance to free his father he was all for it.

"Good, uhm, I already knocked out the guards upstairs and if we're lucky, they haven't woken up yet." the girl explained. "We'll still have to be quiet so.." she looked around the room for a bit, before landing on a blanket the queen has previously given Varian. "Yes! Here, take your shoes off and put these on your feet" she instructed as she tore some of the blanket into strips and handed two of them to Varian to put on his feet.

Once the duo was suited up they quietly tiptoed upstairs, luckily the prisoners were asleep and no one outside the prison has noticed anything suspicious yet. Once they were on the main floor Varian pulled back a tapestry and lead the girl into the underground tunnels.

"This was here the whole time?" the girl asked, gazing around the tunnel with amazement.

"Yes? You mean to tell me you came in a different way and somehow didn't get caught? Varian responded.

The girl cleared her throat and chuckled awkwardly at the question "ahh, uhm, anyway is this the right direction?" she asked, pointing down a random tunnel.

"Uhh no, I think it's this way, if I remember correctly that is" Varian corrected, and the two wandered down the route Varian pointed out.

---
Ahh, uhh, well this definitely isn't out a week later than promised that's for sure haha yeah definitely not

In all seriousness I hope you enjoyed the chapter and I'm excited to write more, the reason it was so late is I usually only write on like car trips or early in the morning for some reason?? And it's usually only a paragraph at a time soo..

Anyway look out for chapter two! Check angelbunny-arts on tumblr for announcements and bonus artwork:D