Special Chapter

Today would have been my Papa's 100th birthday. Despite being my great-grandpa, he was essentially my dad. You only turn 100 once so I figured let's celebrate. This is set before Yorktown when Washington visited Mount Vernon for a few days. Disclaimer: this may or may not be canon in my fic... we'll see what happens. I can't give away all my secrets.

February 16, 2022.

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

The general came downstairs, only to be greeted by the sight of his now grown children. They had fallen asleep together the night prior and no one had the heart to wake the two.

A small smile crept on his face, "Jack, Gwen," he whispered. 

Jacky stirred, "Hmm?"

"It's time you two get up."

The oldest only groaned, finally opening his eyes.

"Gwen," their father called again.

She remained sound asleep.

"Gwen," Jacky said a little bit louder as he poked her arm.  With no response again he decided to continue the action repeatedly. 

The general could only shake his head fondly at his son. Of course he would start poking his sister to wake her.

Jacky let out a slight laugh, "I guess some things never change."

Oh the amount of times she slept through... well anything, was comical. 

His face then lit up. "Laugh" he said, hoping it would get a reaction out of her.

"You still use that trick on her?" their father asked.

"It still works, so of course I still use it. Shame it doesn't work when she's sleeping."

The general tried again, "Gwen."

She finally mumbled something incoherent. 

"She's alive!" her brother jokingly declared.

She answered with another grunt, refusing to open her eyes.

"Time to get up sleepyhead."

She managed to vocalize an 'uh uh'.

Jacky sighed, "Fine, you leave me with no choice," and proceeded to poke her shoulder yet again. 

She waved her in a half hearted attempt to shoo him off, "stop."

"Then get up."

"No."

He continued to poke her until she finally whacked his hand away. 

Jacky looked to their slightly amused father, "She hit me."

Gwen still refused to move. "He poked me first, and I warned him," she countered, her voice muffled by the couch.

Their father shook his head again, "you two act like children."

"Well we are brother and sister," said Jacky.

"It's what we do," yawned Gwen as she rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands.

The general smiled, grateful to have a moment of peace, as he left for his study.

After another minute or so Gwen finally stood up.

"Where are you going?" her brother asked.

"To sleep, since it's obvious I won't get any more here," she retorted. 

"Seriously?" he deadpanned. 

"I'm tired, and I don't appreciate being poked awake."

"Technically it was Pappa who-"

Gwen lightly smacked him on the arm.

Jacky faked hurt, "What is it with you and violence?"

"You won't experience anymore of it if you just let me go sleep."

She was half way up the stairs when he called after her.

"Wait. I have a better idea."

"What could possibly be better than sleeping?" she groaned.

 ⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

The better idea was walking the grounds. 

"Remind me how this is better than letting me go back to sleep."

"It isn't," he grinned. 

She should have known, "Ugh, I'm going back inside."

"You're not even going to try and balance on the fence?" he challenged. 

"Nope."

"It's because you can't do it anymore," her brother taunted. 

She paused, "I see what you're doing. But I can't resist a chance to prove you wrong."

She marched past him, towards the fence they used to walk on as children. 

Jacky smiled victoriously as she struggled to find her footing. He always knew how to awaken her competitive side. 

After multiple attempts of trial and error she managed to stabilize herself. Memories of attempting to get father everytime flooded her mind as she took the first step. 

Though wobbly, it wasn't too bad considering it had been years since they last tried it. 

Jacky smirked, "not bad."

She was about to thank him when he gently shook the fence. 

"JACKY!" she screamed, jumping down before he caused her to fall.

He faked innocence, "What?"

"I hate you."

"I love you too."

⭒☆━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━☆⭒

And there you go. I think one of the hardest things for me is writing their dynamic, solely because I am the oldest in my family and Gwen is the youngest here. I'm just treating Jacky as the main and writing Gwen's actions based off of how my little brother would react. 

I'll see all of you soon !