𝟏𝟖

[american pie - don mclean]

y/n:     "Bye-bye, Miss American Pie. Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry.  And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye singin' 'This'll be the day that I die. This'll be the day that I die.'"  Don McLean sang through the speakers of my phone.  Groaning, I rubbed my eyes, reaching over to turn my alarm off when my eye happened to catch the date.  It's my birthday.   Today I'm 18 and I'm going to be living in New York for a month.

Oh fuck.

I jumped out of bed, stumbling on a piece of clothing on my floor, nearly tripping myself in the process, and ran downstairs to try to convince my mom to let me bail out on this stupid thing. But wait, couldn't she get in trouble?  It's mandatory that I go.  Ah, it's worth a shot.

I barely made the landing, dashing into the kitchen to be welcomed by my mom, my younger sister Katy, and the sweet aroma of pancakes.

"You're up early," Mom pointed out with her back turned to me.

"Oh, the smell of food woke me up."  I hummed, taking a seat next to Katey.  Mom nodded, turning back around to resume the flipping of, what I assumed would be, Katy's pancakes when I noticed she was instead flipping through the pile of the morning mail.  The letter I've been dreading to arrive must be in there.

"Oh, you wanna know what came in the mail the other day?"  I froze, gripping the sides of my chair as I squeezed my eyes shut.  The other day?  She saved the letter for me to open on my birthday?

"A birthday card from Wanda, isn't that sweet?" She smiled.  It had been 7 years since my aunt Wanda had sent me as much as a small gift or card so this was definitely something new.

"Where's the address from?"

"Arizona, could you believe it?"

"Yeah, a miracle."  I said, pretty unamused as I took a long sip from my sisters orange juice, not much of a reaction from her since she never really liked the sour taste of it.

"Well, I'll take my breakfast into my room."  I said, getting up, heading towards the stairs when my mom called me. 

"Oh! Y/n—I froze once again, did my letter actually come today?  "You don't want to read Wanda's card?" A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I turned around slowly, feeling relaxed now. "Uh sure, I'll take it to my room with me."

"Ok, happy birthday dear and hope you're packed for New York.  You'll be leaving next weekkk."

Shit.     

AN: [REVAMPED] just a lil background info, kids that live in new england (meaning y/n since she lives in- southern CT) are forced to live in an nyc apartment for about a month with some total stranger after they turn 18.  the government created the law to give kids a lil taste of what adult life is like in the north.  but this can only happen for those that have a scholar to go to NYU before school