Chapter 52

A month passed since that night. I still felt like I was in shock. I'd hardly left the bedroom. My daily routine consisted of waking up, showering, having my meals brought to me, and reading.

Everything I did was an attempt to try and get my mind off of Livianna, to no avail.

Diavolo still hadn't been found. At Livianna's funeral, Cristiano embraced her father and mother, and vowed to find her killer.

I was living in fear of the fact that Diavolo might be back to kill me. To finish the job. Cristiano swore that he was the only one besides me and Livianna who knew of our assassination plot. But I couldn't believe that.

Why else would he have her killed? None of it made sense to me.

I laid in bed, trying to read a book Cristiano had brought me from his office. Eventually I threw it to the side, unable to focus. It was getting late, I'd had my dinner brought to me hours ago.

Cristiano entered the bedroom, looking more worn out than usual. He was running himself dry hunting down Diavolo.

"Reports are saying that fucker was spotted in Spain." He says angrily, unbuttoning his shirt and tossing it in the closet.

I got out of bed, and picked up his shirt, placing it in the hamper. I reached out my hand, motioning for him to hand me the rest of his clothes.

"We have maids for that you know?" He says, scoffing a little. I smile back at him.

"I practically live in this room, I like to keep things clean." I say, as he hands me his pants. I felt a rush go through my body when my hand brushed against his. I was only wearing one of Cristiano's large button up shirts and my underwear, which exposed the lower half of my body.

We hadn't been intimate since Christmas Eve. A part of the reason is because he had been so busy. Looking for Diavolo, and got knows what else his job as the Don entailed.

But in truth I had been avoiding him. Deep down I think he could tell.

His eyes drifted from me to the book I left on the bed.

"How's Tender is The Night?" He asks, going into the bathroom. I follow him and lean against the frame of the door as he steps into the shower.

"It's...complicated so far. Is Dick really going to have an affair with Rosemary?" I say, trying to keep my eyes above his body. He had been in great shape lately, except for the fact he seemed exhausted.

"I can't tell you, that would spoil it." He says with a coy smile as he turns on the water. I stood there, admiring him from a distance. And he noticed.

"Care to join me?" He says, running his hand through his hair.

My body was practically begging me to rid myself of my clothes and go in there with him. But my head, held me back.

"I already showered." I say, feigning a smile, and closing the door.

I hated being so cold to him. Cristiano had done so much for me. But I couldn't get Livianna out of my head. Guilt overtook me and my emotions.

How was it fair? I was alive and breathing. I was young, and had so much life left to live. While her life had been cut short. All because I couldn't protect her. I had promised to protect her. And now she was gone.

I buried my face in my hands, and sank to the floor.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry, Liv..." I whispered, as tears fell down my cheeks.

The image of her in my head was constant. Her smile, her eyes, her face.

As much as I wanted to blame Diavolo, I blamed myself more.