6: Staying Far Away

Quinn skipped down the hall on that November morning, ready to meet Tina in the library when she got pulled away. The girl she'd protected from Achilles stood before her.

"You have nerve." she said.

Quinn leaned forward, "What?"

"Achilles told me to tell you that if you go anywhere near your friend, he'll hurt you more than a broken nose."

"What? Why? And who are you to say-?"

The girl covered Quinn's mouth, "I'm only a mere messenger. Don't associate with Tina. Achilles has warned you."

The girl walked away. Quinn watched her leave, wondering why she was so cryptic. Thinking about Achilles 'warning', she brushed it off. She met up with Tina in the library like usual, but every time she turned around, she had a weird feeling someone was following them.

It wasn't until the day before leaving for the winter holidays, did she finally realize what the girls cryptic message meant. Achilles rounded the corner of the common room while Quinn was setting a small bag of clothes down and punched her in the gut. She keeled over. Achilles grabbed a handful of her hair and pulled back up, forcing her to look in his eye.

"I told you I'd hurt more than a broken nose." he said before dragging Quinn up the stairs to his room.

~~~

Quinn sat in her room, crying from pain. She never felt pain like that, and she hated it. Achilles was serious. She didn't want the same thing to happen to Tina. She wanted to stay with her and protect her, but she didn't want Achilles to keep hurting her like this. That's when she made her decision.

Walking down the corridor to the front door, she passed Tina. Tina went to say hello, but Quinn walked faster; ignoring everything Tina tried to get her attention. It hurt Quinn so much to do this, but she was scared.

Sitting in the carriage, Quinn looked out the window. When she got home, her mother and brother were waiting for her. They wanted to everything about Ilvermorny, but frankly, Quinn had nothing to share. She didn't want to talk. She wanted to be alone.

Liam tried to ask her if she wanted to play, but she didn't. Why would she want to play? She was being forced out of her only good friendship by a boy because of fear. And the idea of playing made her think of toys and that's what Achilles had called her. It wasn't what she wanted. She just wanted to have Tina's friendship. The friendship without the fear.

She barely ate anything that entire week. When she finally went back to school, her mother kissed her forehead and shoved a week's worth of bread in her pockets.

"I'm sure you're hungry." she simply said, before giving her daughter a hug, "Please eat more than that for the rest of the year."

Quinn nodded in assurance. Liam hugged Quinn, too. He told her he'll miss her every day. Quinn said she would, too, but she'd probably forget a few days. She'll be too worried about Achilles.

When she got back to the school, she saw Tina waiting by the front doors. When Quinn ran away, Tina chased after her. Grabbing onto her friend's wrist, Tina yanked her to a stop.

"Why're you ignoring me?" Tina asked, "I wrote you all week! My owl goes pretty fast, so I know you got 'em!"

Quinn couldn't speak. She wanted to say, Achilles doesn't want me to spend time with you. I'm afraid, Tina. He'll hurt me. But Quinn didn't speak.

"Quinn! What is happening with you? I thought we were bonding! You're my best friend!" Quinn was still silent, "You're my only friend."

Quinn narrowed her eyes, "Well, too bad!"

"What?" Tina backed away, shocked.

"I never wanted to be your friend! I was taking pity on you! Why would anyone want to be friends with the girl whose grandparents couldn't even buy her a bag for her books!" Quinn yelled.

Tina swallowed before yelling back, "You think I wanted that! My grandmother refused me a bag! She said I didn't need it!"

"Oh, well, pardon me, little Miss Abused!" Quinn screamed.

Tina's shoulders sagged. Quinn realized what she said and tried to think why Tina had such a reaction to that word. She did realize and reached out, "Tina-?"

Tina shook her head and pushed passed Quinn. Quinn watched Tina run away. That was one way to ruin a relationship. Quinn knew Achilles didn't have to worry about her and Tina spending time together because Quinn had cut that tether.

That's when he appeared, "Well done, toy. Don't worry. I'm not finished with you. You're not quite used up. Not yet."