A New Job

(Warning! I am not a scientist and am no expert in science, so most of the science stuff will be pure bullsh*t. If you want to know how it actually works, do your own research and don't rely on fanfiction written by someone who doesn't have a degree in any kind of science)

First day of a new job, with three new coworkers he had never met before and knew nothing about. Safe to say, Bryan was nervous about the whole ordeal. He hadn't ever really worked with others, at least not as a full-fledged scientist, and he worried about being seen as an equal by the others. Most of all, he worried about actually being an equal to them, since he didn't have a ton of experience. Bryan was also hoping that they wouldn't know him by his previous work and think of him as a better or as possibly arrogant.

Bryan parked his car in front of the newly built lab and grabbed his bag before getting out. He looked down at his clothes, and silently wished he had worn more professional clothes, instead of the blue jeans and shirt he had worn. Granted he liked his clothes a lot, a black shirt with a rainbow heart that looked like it was made from paint dripping was pretty nice, it just felt like the wrong thing to wear on his first day of work. At the same time, the only thing in the dress code was to wear a lab coat and the required lab equipment so it wasn't like Bryan was breaking any rules.

Bryan took a deep breath and shook his head to try and calm his nerves slightly. He then walked into the lab, surprised at how well stocked and nice it looked. He hadn't really known what to expect since the only "lab" he had really been in was the SCP facility labs, and he hadn't really seen that place in its prime. At a table in front of the door stood a man drinking some coffee in a to-go cup. He had a lab coat on over a gray t-shirt that had an image of two half-filled test tubes around the words "I make horrible science puns, but only periodically". It definitely made Bryan feel more comfortable with what he was wearing.

"Well, well, look who finally decided to show up! What, thought you were better than the rest of so you could show up late?" The man said, swiping some of his blue hair away from his face. Bryan's eyes widened at what the man said. Had he been so wrapped up in his thoughts and worries that he showed up late? "Well buddy, I got some news for you-"

"Mitch, leave the poor guy alone!" Another voice called out, cutting the blue-haired man off. Bryan turned to see another man wearing a lab coat over a simple white shirt with a picture of a landscape on it. He had brown hair like Bryan with a red streak dyed in it. "I'm sorry about him, he likes to mess with people a lot. My name's Devin Entertainment and that's Mitch Crazy. And before you say anything, you're not late." The other scientist said, turning towards Bryan who let out a small sigh of relief.

"Well it's nice to meet you both. My name's Bryan, Bryan Films." Bryan said with a smile, shaking Devin's hand. After a few more words between the three, Bryan went to the "locker room", which was just a small room for them all to put their stuff so it wouldn't get chemicals on it and would be out of the way. Bryan placed his stuff on a chair in the back corner and then pulled out his lab coat, which had been embroidered during college by his old roommate. When he walked back out, he saw his last coworker had arrived.

She only had a folded up lab coat in her arms, not carrying anything else. She had on black jeans and a simple coral tank-top. In her hair, there were two hair clips on either side that vaguely resembled horns. The girl turned over to him and looked him up and down quickly. "Sup, you must be Bryan. I'm Yuki, Yuki Cutie, pleasure meeting you." The girl said, nodding at him. Bryan smiled at her, but it fell slightly at her next words. "I read your papers on SCPs, interesting stuff." The other two scientists looked over at Bryan in surprise.

"Wait, you wrote the papers on SCPs? I could never find the name of the scientist who wrote them." Mitch said, taking another sip of his coffee. "That must kinda suck, not being known for the work you did. Plus those papers were pretty impressive, and just interesting to read in general. And if I remember right, you got an award for it?" He finished after a few seconds of silence. Bryan could feel his cheeks lit up from embarrassment as he nodded. He had nearly forgotten about the trophy he had on the top shelf in his room, having been left to collect dust.

"I mean, most of it wasn't really mine, it was just unpublished and hidden..." Bryan said, more quietly than he had spoken before with his cheeks burning in embarrassment. "It's really not all that cool or anything, and I kinda prefer people not knowing... it can get really awkward and embarrassing when people recognize me..." Bryan said, mumbling the last sentence as he tried not to meet anyone's eyes.

"Still cool that you brought it all into the light. But if you don't want us to talk about it, we won't." Devin said, patting Bryan on the head with a smile. Mitch gave a smirk as he said something Bryan didn't hear, causing Devin to hit the blue-haired man on the back of his head with a glare. Mitch rubbed his head as he laughed, Devin continuing to glare at him. Bryan glanced at them in confusion, before looking over at a just as confused Yuki. The two made eye contact before bursting out into laughter, Devin joining them after a few seconds.

Bryan was having a good time with the new job already. He had nice coworkers who he was already getting along with! Maybe this wouldn't be so bad, and he could actually make some friends. Bryan's last few friends... well, he knew that he would likely never see them again. He quickly got rid of that thought, not letting himself bring his mood down. This was going to be amazing, he was sure of it.