chapter two

ATHENA SPOTTED HER FRIEND SKATING around the parking lot with a bright red tray in hand, empty baskets from customers' meals piled high on top of it

ATHENA SPOTTED HER FRIEND SKATING around the parking lot with a bright red tray in hand, empty baskets from customers' meals piled high on top of it. The light brown-haired girl flagged her down with a smile, waving the resume around in front of her as she caught the worker's attention.

"Thena!" Lucky shouted once her eyes settled on the joyful girl, discarding her tray on a clear surface before rapidly skating over to her friend's arms. They both laughed in each other's ears as they relaxed in one another's grip, pulling away with dimples and bright smiles.

"I got this for you." Athena showed Lucky the slightly crumbled piece of paper by pulling it between them. She read over it with raised brows.

"Trevor Spengler," Lucky repeated as she squinted her eyes with confusion, glancing up at the ecstatic girl infront of her. "That doesn't sound familiar."

"Because it's not. He's looking for a job," Athena informed her lightly.

"I can see that. Tell him he's got it," she told her as she handed the girl back her paper, patting her shoulder before beginning to skate backwards. Lucky didn't take her eyes off Athena as she tried to stutter out a response, but nothing surfaced. "It's on the sheet," she motioned to the paper before turning and disappearing between the rows of parked cars.

Athena sighed before pulling out her phone, transferring the number messily written on the sheet to her contacts. She took a deep breath, left the paper on the same surface as Lucky left her rubbish-filled tray, before pressing the pad of her thumb against the bright green dial button. As the rings filtered through her ears, she started walking down the footpath. She needed to get home.

"Hello?" The boy's voice sounded through the device, a small smile growing on the girl's face after he picked up.

"Trevor?" On the other side of the phone, Trevor's lips turned upwards, the sound of the girl's voice being enough to plaster a smile on his face.

"Athena? Miss me too much?" He joked as he leant against the back of the dark blue tarp in his old shed, but instantly moved away from it once it started to creak.

"So, so much, you have no idea. I have good news, though," she told him as she ducked beneath one of the low hanging tree branches, a golden hue resting on her face from the yellow rays of the bright sunset.

"Oh yeah, what's that?" He asked curiously, his eyes racking over the mysteriously shaped object hidden beneath the dark tarp.

"You got the job!" She cheered excitedly, suddenly thankful that no one was walking down that particular street at the same time as her.

"I got the job?" His voice was a notch louder than it was the last time he'd spoke, his hopes having been raised.

"You got the job!" Athena repeated as Trevor's laughter filtered through the speaker on her phone, causing her smile to widen. The boy inside the dark shed moved to lean against one of the dusty, wooden shelves instead of the tarp, but it completely fell down as soon as he pressed his elbow against it. It scared him as the wooden parts clattered to the ground.