25 | 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

SEPTEMBER HAS PASSED and the young genius was already back at her game. As much as she hated it, she wasn't allowed to see Eri just yet despite the pleads and bargains that she did. Hence, the aftermath of the incident was nothing but endless training.

Due to the recent incidents, Y/n had a new found fear and that is losing her iron suit in mid battle.

The thought incessantly tormented her mind. The young genius is known for her pride and arrogance and she wasn't afraid to deny such fact and even took pride at that. However, deep down in that glorified persona, a coward hid. Y/n wasn't the type of person that let people's words that get through her and yet she felt frightened that they were right — right about that without her suit she was helpless.

Due to that fear, she worked multiple times harder.

"Stand up." A baritone voice said, "Again."

The young genius looked up from her crouched form as tears brimmed her eyes though unnoticeable as waves of sweat cascaded her face and entire body. Despite her blurry vision, she could see the bulky form of one of her mentor and she could feel his dark eyes glaring at her with displeasure.

With arms and legs involuntarily shaking, Y/n gathered her strength and courage to stand back up again and miraculously succeeded. Her chest heaved up and down repeatedly in an irregular manner as she tried to catch her breath, glaring at her trainer who, just like her, is quirkless yet base from his tremendous strength and agility despite his old age one wouldn't assume him as such.

Y/n knew that he was a former colonel of the Soviet Armed Forces which gave her enlightenment on his strenuous daily training and seemingly humanely impossible tests.

Despite her exhausted and stress-ridden condition, she pushed herself and attacked her tutor for a spar in an attempt to defeat him but the older man easily took her down.

"You are calculated, yes," he voiced in English with a patent Russian accent, "but you lack the physical ability to execute your counters. No matter what form of quirk your opponent may have, there is always a hole and a way to defeat them."

He held out a hand to assist her which she took and stood back up once more.

"Quirkless people like us must strive to avoid inferiority in strength or any power of any sort." He said, "You are still quite frail but you're getting there. However, it is not enough. Engrave in your heart and mind that you should not rely on your suit — it is not your only weapon, L/n. Again."

Her trainer constantly repeated those words to her whenever he could but Y/n didn't mind. She knew he was right. Y/n absolutely didn't want any room for weakness, whether be it physically, psychologically, or emotionally. If this was the way to enhance her strength then so be it.

Her spirit was unwavering yet her body couldn't handle any more, by each movement that she made, she practically feel her body begging for her to rest. Y/n squeezed her eyes shut then opening them wide in an effort to stay awake. Her eyes fell on the healing burn scars that she sustained during the I-Island accident which was now accompanied by the bruises that she received from training.

But before she could even move, a knock on the door was heard after the door opened revealing the HPSC president, her face as stern as ever.

"Forgive me for interrupting." She said, "L/n, someone has requested for your presence. It seems that it is a matter of importance." Her tone had a hint of annoyance and — the last sentence — with mockery.

Y/n looked at her tutor for affirmation and he nodded in response.

"Yes, ma'am." the young genius said, taking off the elastic bandages on her palm.