Chapter 5

"Let us in!" They kept on banging on my door, kicking with all their force, my back jumping at every single kick. 

I was a sobbing mess: sitting on the floor, my legs and feet were full of cuts from all the running, my linen dress was muddy, my eyes hitched from the tears. 

"C'mon! Melanie! We're not done with our game!" 

The chair I had put under the door handle wouldn't last for long. I knew it wouldn't. This had happened already. They would get in and finish what they started. Though I wouldn't try to prevent what was to come in any other way: I was taking this time just to sit and cry, letting it all out. 

Why am I here? Why leaving me? Wasn't I enough? 

How could they tell I wasn't enough without even giving me a chance to prove myself first?

"You filthy little bitch! Fucking let us in!" 

Their voices and my thoughts were too much to handle all at once. I was lucky enough I could get into my room in time, but that will just make them more mad at me. 

Sometimes I just want to disappear. To become dust and fly away along with the wind, to melt and be absorbed by dirt. Why can't that happen? 

How long will I survive like this? Will I survive today at all?

I shifted towards the small bed in the corner. I had no more willing to fight left in me. 

Let them in. Let them in and finish what they started then. 

One bang.

Another one. 

The door creaked. The chair shifted. 

A louder bang. 

The door spread open. 

All of them sprinted towards me. 

Before the first one would hit me, I screamed with all the strength I had left: 

"Melania! My name is Melania!"

Pain filled every part of my body, and darkness invaded my mind. 

-

We have been in silence for a while now, the noice of forks and our chewing filling the kitchen.

At some point, I can't help but chuckle at Emily's face: Nutella is all over her mouth and she just keeps on eating without noticing me observing her.

Apparently, she has never tried Nutella before, and she hasn't eaten pancakes in a while either, so she is enjoying the breakfast I made for her quite a lot. Funny thing is, the first time I tried both of these things was barely one year ago, when I joined S.L.A.D. . 

"Here" I hand her a napkin, and she smiles at me with those big blue eyes of hers. 

"You could tell me before, you know" she looks slightly embarrassed. 

It has been a week since I brought her here that night. I told myself I would have a chat with her, but then remembered that food was the best way to approach a small girl. 

It's just thanks to a breakfast like this one that she dared to talk to me on the second morning, wondering what my name was. She has opened up a bit since then, let me taking care of her wounds, tried to make herself at home as I told her to. 

"I was having fun watching you, that's all" I am amused at the way she's appreciating my cooking abilities, not that making pancakes needs an experience of sorts.