Solitude

Within the frostbit air and dimly lit surroundings, if you had listened carefully, there would be the sound of boots crunching along the muddy paths of which have been impaled by the withered leaves in its trail. Reds and oranges stained the area. 

A young girl walked with a sense of dread. Her locks of brown hair hung without purpose as her feet tried to keep her steady. The afternoon's earlier event plagued her sight, and the images of her mother's hysteria, disputing with her father, broke her mental facade. Just before she had recapped their words, she saw her destination. She saw her favourite boy in the world. Her brother. There he lay, peacefully along the patches of wet grass. His smile graced his features as he simply stared at the sky. She saw his display of thoughts through his eyes, which always shone so brightly. Then, as she approached, he glanced at her. Having not seen her in a while, with him now living further away and all, he straightened his posture and waved in excitement. She smiled back, lightly. Casually.

Yet, call it an older brother's intuition, he just knew. She wasn't okay.

His smile faded as he stood, and she now, too, stood before him.

'Mia,' he breathed, his eyes glazed with a strangely deep sorrow.

'Georgie,' she nodded, looking down at his polished shoes. They always were nicely polished, and that sense of familiarity warmed her at the same time as it...saddened her.

Silence ensued for a few seconds, until he stepped back and sat himself down onto the grass once more. Patting the space next to him with his hand, she followed his action. Feeling his gaze upon her, she couldn't bring herself to look at him.

'What's wrong?'

She picked at the grass, unsuccessfully pulling its root out. She tried again.

Georgie tilted his head to the side, trying to look into her eyes. Blue against her green. She shook her head,

'Nothing really...' 

He raised his eyebrow.

'Nothing except...it's just, Mum has been a bit-,' she looked up at the sky, watching the grey clouds pass by slowly, '-a bit too sad lately. A bit too much. And Dad...you know him, he hasn't spoken a word since-' Mia took a sharp breath. Georgie closed his eyes, turning away for a moment as he uses his hands to keep himself propped up.

Mia began, 'But today, well, I don't know. He and Mum started fighting, you know? Turns out he's been drinking a lot these days....I just, well, I never thought they'd ever fight so much. It's been really bad between them, and I- I don't know how to handle it. They've never... fought so much...'

Georgie sighed deeply, a small grin lightened his face, he turned towards her and embraced her with his one arm. 

'Don't worry too much about them, they always fight like that every now and then, and they always go back to their usual selves. It's normal,'

Surprise engulfed her.

'Really?'

'Yeah, they'll be back to normal in no time.' He leaned into her, ruffling her hair, 'all they need, my little bird, is time.'

'...Then, do all I need is time, too?'

Her voice wavered as tears fell down her cheeks.

He wiped them away, yet more  and more continued to fall,

'My little bird...'

'With time, will my pain go away?'

 His eyes fell, distress filling his features , yet even then his smile stayed. As it always did. Kissing her forehead gently, he replied,

'With time, Mia. Just look at the future! You have a whole future ahead of you. Think of all the friends you may make! All the experiences ahead of you.'

She sniffed, and no longer could she see through her tears. No longer could she see her brother.

'But you won't be here. With me.'

'Mia. Wether we're here together, or far apart, I will never leave you. I'll always be there to listen to you. I am always here,' he pointed to his own heart, 'I've got you.'

Her sobs overtook her, shaking her body as she clutched her chest. The warmth of her brother dispersed. Yet, the warmth of his words didn't. Tilting her head up to meet the gaze of the sky, throughout all her tears, she tried to give it a small chuckle. Surely, he-

Looking over her shoulder, next to her stood a headstone.

                                                                                        Georgie

                                                                       11.08.2002 - 08.08.20

                                                                  A beloved son and brother.

                                                                           'May we meet again'

                                        He smiled.

.

.

.

Inspirations: Brother by Kodaline