02| Scans

The rest of the day I was thinking about that conversation with Caleb. I visited a few more rooms, but not before double checking who was inside.

As I was getting ready to leave, I turn around the corner and run into someone.

"Fuck." they yell.

"Shit, I'm sorry." I say. I look up and see Caleb.

"Morgan." He says.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"I'm taking a stroll. want to join?"

"I'm about to leave." I tell him. "Where are you supposed to be?"

"In my room, or filling out more paperwork, I'm not sure."

"You should know." I almost yell.

"I don't, and I don't care. You can leave now, bye." he says and walks off. I stand there in shock for a minute before walking out to my car. Why did he get so mad?

When I get home I sit down at the kitchen counter and start going through my phone.

Caleb hall.

I type that name into Snapchat and the one thing to pop up was hall.caleb19, so I add him. My heart is racing, I don't know why.

While I wait, I type the same name into Instagram. I click on the first account suggested and it was him. He had two pictures. One of him on a lake, and the other was a collaboration of him in hospitals. It was posted two hours ago, and captioned, '8th times the charm'. I swipe out, but my thumb accidentally hits the like button.

"Fuck." I mumble to myself. My phone buzzes, and I see that Caleb added me back.

He texts me, but I wait a minute to open it.

Caleb- Now I'm convinced you're stalking me

Me- stalking? I don't know anything about you.

Caleb- well you had to ask someone for my name

Me- asking is not stalking

Caleb- but finding all my socials are

Me- okay asshole

Caleb- are you going to come back to the hospital tomorrow?

Me- yeah, why do you care?

Caleb- it's no fun here

Me- yeah, okay

Caleb- can you bring me some good food though?

Me- if you pay me back

Caleb- deal

I lay down and close my eyes. The next morning I wake up at 9 am. I trow on a white t shirt and some jeans. I grab some food before going to the hospital and when I get there I leave the food in my car for later. I walk inside and go over to Calebs room. I open the door and the room was empty.

I run over to the desk "where's Caleb?"

"Caleb Hall? He went to therapy. He'll be back for a CT scan soon" Paige says.

"Okay" I say and sit down. I see him walk over to his room and follow him. I knock and wait.

"Hey, there you are." he says and opens the door more for me to walk in.

"Yeah," I say and walk in. "How was therapy?"

"You're still asking around about me?"

"Yup" I say and sit on his bed. "So when's your CT scan?"

"Less than five minutes." he says. "Did you bring some food?"

"Yeah it's in my car. After your scan I'll grab you so we can eat downstairs?" I ask.

"Yeah, that sounds good." He says smiling.

"Do you know when you're getting discharged?"

"It depends how my scans come out. That also depends if I get cleared for school."

"Shit. That'll stress me out a lot if I were you."

"Yeah, after over three years you learn not to get your hopes up much." Caleb says and sits down in front of me.

"Don't say that." I tell him. "I've been helping here a long time and I've seen a lot of people recover fully."

"And how many people have you seen die?"

My jaw drops and I don't answer. Someone knocks and Noel opens the door.

"Caleb- Morgan, what are you doing?"

"Talking." I tell her.

"O-Okay. Caleb, are you ready for your scan?" She asks. He nods and walks out, with me behind him.

"Can I see Avery?" I ask Noel.

"Go for it."

I go into the bathroom to splash my face with some cold water before walking back to the rooms.

I walk down to Averys room and knock before walking in. Avery was sitting in bed reading a book.

"Hi Morgan." she says.

"Hey, what are you reading?" I ask.

"A book my mom gave me." She says. "She's getting me lunch."

"That's fun." I tell her. I talk with her for a while until someone walks in.

It was Noel. "Morgan, can you come with me for a minute?"

I agree and walk out of the room with her. We walk to the x-ray hall and into a room. Caleb was laying down, asleep in a bed.

"Morgan, His doctor wants to clear him for school, but we know he doesn't care to take the extra cautions."

"What are you saying?" I ask. "I'm not a doctor, I can't clear him."

"Just look out for him. He's not able to do sports, gym is okay though. No after or before extra curricular's either."

"Tell his mom that. Why me?"

"I will, and Because you are going to the same school." She says. "Please do this."

"Fine." I sigh. "What about his scans?"

"Somewhat the same." she says.

"When will he wake up?"

"Not sure. He fell asleep durning the scan." Noel says and walks out. I follow her, and we sit outside the room.