Prologue

"May the Valkyries welcome you, and lead you through Odin's great battlefield. Where they sing your name with love and fury, so that we may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla, and know that you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings." The man speaking paused and turned to look behind him at the battle-worn faces of his family, each with scars, blood, and fresh cuts streaming down their face. In their hands, each held an arrow, lit with the last flame of the battle. 

"For a great man has fallen. A warrior. A father. A friend." He paused again, turning back to look at his youngest, who was clutching her bow so tight he feared that it might splinter in her hands. "A brother."

'A twin,' the youngest thought, staring at her twin's bow, now hers, clutched tightly between her fingers. She took a step forward and lifted her bow towards the air, pulling back on the string before allowing the arrow to sail across the sky. The small red flame arced beautifully across the sky before landing in a boat sailing out into the cove. It landed perfectly at the base of the wooden bed that had been erected, lighting the kindling at the base. Those standing around her followed suit, releasing their arrows across the sky.

Everyone turned away, not wanting to see the fire burning the body of their beloved family member. But one remained by the edge of the water, her feet slowly growing wet as the water lapped at her boots. 

"Y/N."

She roughly brushed away her tears, the leather of her armband scratching a red mark over her eyes, smudging the paint. Turning around, she saw her second eldest brother standing behind her, his axe planted in the ground beside him.

"I-it hurts," Y/N whispered, pressing her hand to her chest. "I... That arrow was meant for me. Why did he have to throw himself in front of it?"

Askel sighed and approached his sister, wrapping his arms around her in a calming embrace. "I don't know, Y/N. I don't know."