S E V E N // I S A D O R A

The antique table now has a thin, decorative cotton cloth lying on it. A plain tea kettle with matching cups sit a top it. I take one of these cups, making sure to keep my pinky lifted as Jason had instructed. The warmth of herbal tea soothes my throat as it runs down. Never in my life would I have thought an old man, who I've known for years now, would be teaching me lady-like manners. First it was how to sit, then how to speak respectfully, and now its a tea party. What on Earth is coming for me next?

     Revenge is an overwhelming feeling. It is one of those things that once it is on your mind, it never leaves. Constantly it is in the back of your thoughts haunting your choices. I've waited nearly ten years to have the chance of beheading the Prince, but now I'm kneedeep in princess class and I'm not quite sure it's worth it. Being on a battle field full of angry men chasing me with flaming swords would probably be far easier to defeat than this.

      THONK. the blue bound book tumbles from my head. Once again, I don't pick my feet up high enough, and end up tripping over them. Who knew becoming a princess would leave me with more bangs and bruises than warrior battling. I exhale. Exaggerating my eye roll so Jason would notice, I say, "this isn't going to help me. Why am I not just sneaking into the castle?"

      The man leaned against his thorn wood cane, staring at the ceiling. "We already discussed this, Isadora. Now try again"

       I readjusted the book to top my head, attempting to carry myself high enough that it wouldn't slide off. "Right, right. It's hard to break in an out of without being caught. When have I ever been caught?" I mean for goodness sakes, I have broken in to numerous dungeons to eliminate dangerous criminals, shop keepers, merchants, and other random people with high bounties over their heads.

       "That's exactly what's going to stop you. Your ego is so large that you wouldn't back down despite the fact you would be surrounded by knights, who would execute you on the spot.."

      Warmth flushes my cheeks and the book plummeted. "OLD MAN YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME!" I say with my voice raised.

     He say nothing in return, until I turn to leave. Why couldn't he just scream back at me? He's right after.

     " Isadora, truthfully, I know nothing about you, but what I do know is you'd do anything to give Finn the life he deserves, even though you're full of yourself. I believe you know exactly why committing to the part of playing a princess will be vital to Finn's escape from this horrid place. And maybe it'll be yours too."

     I whipped around to face Mr. Alleyway, the short wrinkly man, who couldn't even balance on his own. What he'd told me, so calmly, left me shocked. I couldn't speak. Was I that easy to read? My intentions? "I..." I hesitate. "I do intend on sending him far away from here. I want him to be safe.... To spend his life in the woods, his true happiness."

     "And what about you?"

     "I'll keep fighting, killing, and getting paid until I die I suppose. There's nothing better out there for me anyways."

    "Girl, you are young. There is so much in the world awaiting you. I chose you to lead the assassination for the hopes of your future."

    And with that, my head spins. Elaine hadn't decided to assign me because she trust me again. She has simply let an obnoxious bribery win her over. I'm going to have to prove to her that I'm far more worthy than anyone here. If anyone deserves to be the top killer here, it's me.