29

A tour was proposed for after the album had sold 250,000 copies. Three months ago, my first single was released, and now it was my album.

Paul had told me that it had sold 300,000 copies in the first twenty-four hours of its release.

"You need to tour." He told me, "it's the way to make big money. Royalties and writing credits are nothing in comparison."

"Paul," I said, a hand on my inflated stomach, "I'm six months pregnant. I can't tour."

"Well I know that." He answered in a tone that implied that that much had been obvious, "but what about after?"

"You think that I'm going to leave a newborn with Keith?" I asked incredulously, "he barely remembers to feed himself most of the time - let alone a little baby."

"So take the baby with you then."

"And leave Marlon with Keith?"

"He can cope." Paul answered, sounding short with me, "he's not an idiot."

"I'm not touring." I told him simply, "not with this album, anyway -"

"But -"

"No, Paul." I turned my back on him and crossed my arms against his chest.

Paul sighed. "You don't give him enough credit, you know -"

"Paul." I snapped, turning around and glaring at him. "I didn't ask you for your fucking opinion -"

"You're the worst thing which could have happened to Keith Richards, y'know." My mouth fell open in disbelief.

"What did you say!?"

"I love you, Lennon," Paul said, "but you're worth so much more than he is. And also, Keith is the worst thing that could have happened to you -"

"But you said that I was the worst - "

"I know what I said." He paused, taking a deep breath before he continued, "Lennon, he'll hurt you. He'll get you into drugs -"

"I won't do drugs." I told my adopted father firmly.

"Everybody says that. Hardly anybody sticks to it. Keith has an addictive personality - where are you going?"

"Out." I snapped, leaving my house. I didn't want to listen to Paul anymore. He was making me angry, and anger was bad for the baby.

Keith Richards was the best thing that could have ever happened to me, I was sure of it.