11. Sacrifice

A torturous year later

Time is crucial. It defines the future in a way that does not change. You can not go back in time. You can not undo an act, it is by nature impossible. Irene understood what it meant to be alone in a crowd. Away from Sherlock she was a living dead. That day, about a year ago, Sherlock left the hospital room where she was being treated after the attack, and never contacted her again. Irene was discharged from the hospital about two weeks later and then returned to Paris. She did not return to Sherlock's house to get her things. She would not allow herself to endanger him. Dominic was capable of anything.

Her heart was now completely broken. Inside she wished she was dead because a life without Sherlock was a real torture. Just as she was stepping out of the hospital, she received a text message on her cell phone. Dominic made his appearance again. He wrote that her decision to push Sherlock away from her was not enough. She had to leave him completely, so she took the next plane and departed to Paris.

Dominic, of course, followed her to Paris, making her life more difficult. She had to live under Dominic's orders. You must be wondering why Irene bowed her head and accepted Dominic's orders without protest. The bastard had thoroughly organized his revenge. The term was simple. If she did not obey everything he told her, he would kill Sherlock, John, Rosie and Mrs. Hudson. He proved to her with photos and live videos that the entire building on Baker Street was surrounded by explosives. Snipers were constantly monitoring the targets on Dominic's orders.

The horror and anxiety under which she lived daily was a torture. With each denial came a threat to Sherlock's life. So she set aside her own life and was left in that nightmare. Sherlock's life had more value.

She had lost her job at the cabaret, now she only worked for Dominic. Depending on his mood, Irene changed roles. Sometimes she was his secretary, other times she was his personal slut. Most of the time, however, she was his emotional punching bag. He forced her to stand in front of him while he insulted her, hit her and disgraced her. With each of her reactions, he threatened that Sherlock's death was a phone call away. And indeed it was.

Once, Dominic ordered her to go naked in front of his friends and she refused. That same night, a group of Dominic's people shot at the building on Baker Street. Fortunately, no one was injured. The very next moment Irene took off her clothes and appeared naked in front of Dominic's friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday, 03:21 a.m.

Her body was frozen as the water from the shower fell on her. She was sitting on the shower tiles, blood was running from a wound on her arm, her face was pale. A few hours ago Dominic had asked her to dance sensually for him. She refused. He hit her hard. She was relieved. He had not vented his anger on Sherlock. It was better for her to be in pain and not Sherlock.

Her apartment was in the same building as Dominic's apartment. Fortunately for her, Dominic had agreed for her to live in her own space. No, he didn't do it out of kindness. He just didn't want Irene constantly around him. This worked in her favor.

Monday, 07:01 a.m.

Irene checked her appearance in the large mirror before she left the apartment. Today was Monday and on Mondays Irene was ordered to dress in a black, tight suit, white shirt and red heels. She always met Dominic before he had his breakfast. The reason was never obvious to her.

The wound on her arm was still hurting but she ignored it as she left the apartment and locked the door. She took the elevator and went upstairs. The sound of her heels echoed in the hall. Before she knocked on the door, someone opened it. Irene took a step back but immediately relaxed when Liam appeared on the doorstep. He was Dominic's nephew who, as Irene suspected, was secretly fancied her.