Prompt: Flies and death

TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!!!!

There is a mention of death, weapons and looots of bugs. Fair warning it gets very aggressive as well. There will be a swear word here and there as well. If you ever feel uncomfortable I encourage you to click off. Enjoy! :)

Prompt: flies, death

Story Name: Death Bringers

On the Livingstone estate, flies were the first indication that someone had died, you could tell. They were no ordinary flies, down here we called them the death bringers. Wherever they flock, you know something happened. There would be no doubt in anyone's mind. They come in swarms, huge swarms. The kind where you can't see 2 feet in front of you if you're in it.

One day I was going over to my friend's house and I saw it. I saw the death bringer at her house. They were surrounding the place, there were more flies than normal too. You couldn't even see the color of the house anymore.

I didn't even have a second thought, I just rushed in there. She can't be dead, we had a plan. We were supposed to get married and have kids together. There were so many things we didn't do.

I got inside and there were flies all around me. I had my hands above my face in an X pattern to block them from getting in my eyes. I had to inch my way through to her room. I could smell the scent of death and rot, it was putrid. The kind of smell that could knock someone out if they weren't careful enough. I didn't care though, I had to make sure it wasn't her who was dead.

I got to her room, after all that struggle I couldn't even see my feet anymore. I got on my hands and knees and felt around. I could tell she was here. I could smell it. I finally touched something. It was her hair. I could feel that it was wet, I brought my hands up and smelled it, I could almost taste the iron in her blood. I could feel the golden hair in my hands. I felt around and found her neck, it was her. I just knew it was her. She had the necklace. The one I bought her all those years ago. I could feel the blood starting to pour around my legs. The blood that once filled my friend with joy was now spilling out through stab wounds onto my legs.

I sat there in shock for a minute. Then I broke down crying. It was the kind of cry you would pray you would never have to go through. I grabbed her torso and brought her into my embrace. I was sobbing uncontrollably. I couldn't tell but I probably looked crazy, I didn't care though. Then, I let out the loudest scream in my life. I am sure people could hear it miles away. It was filled with pain, agony, sadness, and emptiness.

There was a creek behind me. Her house was big, but there was always an echo she would complain about. I stood up, unafraid of the death bringers. I went to her drawers and grabbed the knife she kept by her bed. Guess she forgot she had them. I sure didn't, and I'm going to put it to good use.

I was enraged, I painted my face with my blood covered hands and walked out of the house. The person who killed my friend was going to die, and die by my hands alone. I gripped the knife like if I let go I would lose her all over again. I yelled at the top of my lungs "Whoever is there you better start hiding! I'm coming for you, and your not going to be getting out alive you f*cker!"

I heard running around the house, the pitter patter of someone's feet. Whoever did this was sloppy, and had no idea who they were messing with. I stopped walking and took off my shoes. I wanted this kid to have no idea when he was going to die. I knew this house like the back of my hand, and I had him right in a corner.

I punched on him, I had them screaming for help as I pinned them down. "You killed her! She was nothing but kind to people and this is what she gets!? You have no right to be afraid!!" I yell out. I grab the knife with both hands and bring it down with a strength I didn't know I had. I didn't stop there, he had hell to pay for. I knew I was going to hell, and I'm dragging him down with me.

I kept going for what felt like eternity, but I eventually felt like it was enough and stopped. I looked down, and I couldn't see what was in front of me because of the flies. I couldn't hear anything but the buzzing in my ears. I stood up on wobbly feet and snuck out of her house, I felt suffocated in here. I got to a tree and held my arm as I slid down. I hadn't noticed but the person tried to fight back. He managed to nick my arm. I looked up into the foliage on this hot summer evening.

This is the first moment I had completely to myself. I sat there in silence as the wind blew over my blood stained clothes. I couldn't feel anything, there was a numbing sensation all across my body. Almost like I was put in ice water, and left there. My friend was gone, and I killed her killer. She's actually gone, the person who shone brighter than anything is gone. Killing that man did nothing but give me a short lived high. Now I can just picture the man wriggling under me as I stabbed him just as he did to her.

I didn't feel happy about it though, I felt numb to it. Just like the rest of my body did. The wind continued to blow through my hair as I just sat there and stared at nothing. There was a strange peace you feel after you kill someone. Maybe this is why he killed my friend.

The branches on the tree swayed in the wind. I slowly closed my eyes and tried to think of her face. Think of good times, but I couldn't see her. I can't see her face anymore. The world seemed to stop, all except me and this tree. I felt tired and numb to everything around me.

Slowly, I layed down, knife still in hand. I would only rest for a little while, I told myself. I knew that wasn't true though, the man stabbed me too. I was losing blood fast, but I didn't care. The air was calm as I slept, there was nothing but the ringing in my ears as I slowly closed my eyes for the last time. Numb to the world who hated those who are kind to all.