Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Command at Camp Bastion was a bunker of activity.

Computer terminals lit the area, air-conditioning had been pivotal in keeping command functioning however it still remained upward of twenty degrees Celsius in the main hub.

Wires snaked the floor, taped down for health and safety, and people of all ranks were flittering about the room like worker bees.

Julia felt completely out of sorts with these computer techies, but she knew they were just as vital to the operation as boots on the ground.

Navigating her way through the maze of cables, technical terminology and bunker bees, she found herself stood before a group of Commanders, sweat lining her back.

Julia looked towards a slow-turning fan with longing whilst the strobe lighting above them assaulted her senses.

Turning back to look at the Commander, she saw that the entire group of men, and a single woman, were watching her intently.

“Do you need directions, Sergeant?” A man with a bald head and a stern gaze noted the rank on her uniform.

They were not used to being disturbed and they had never seen her before. It was a double mystery to them and Reynolds just watched them.

She felt as if she was seeing an inner-sanctum of military hierarchy.

“Sergeant Reynolds,” Commander Strong came up behind her, making Julia jump slightly.

Strong was smirking as he stepped past her and joined his pack of wolves, “Are you all packed?”

Julia remembered where she was and stood to attention, “Sir.”

“Well then, how can I help you?” Strong was shifting through a stack of papers.

“Apologies to intrude, sir, but I was hoping for a word.” Julia licked her lips.

Strong nodded his head, “Go for it, Sergeant.”

Julia realised that he wanted her to speak there but her eyes travelled around the tent in alarm. She was hoping for this to be private.

The bald man spoke again, “I think your Sergeant’s a bit confused, Strong.”

Julia swallowed, gripping her wrist tighter behind her back.

Strong looked from Julia towards the bald commander who was laughing at his own joke.

“Commander Walters,” Strong addressed the man, whose body looked like one giant boulder of strength, “May I introduce you to Sergeant Reynolds?” Strong nodded to Julia.

Julia frowned slightly, what was he doing?

A small hush fell about the group and Jules became aware of a few tech analysts pausing mid-stride behind her.

Julia fought not to look around.

“The woman who single-handedly captured one of the world’s most notorious terrorists, Abdul-Azim Farhat,” Strong said it with pride. Julia wanted to correct him but she wasn’t about to steal his thunder.

Commander Walters had the integrity to look embarrassed before he got to his feet and stormed from the tent, brushing past her with hostility.

Julia wanted to laugh but she controlled herself. Strong however could not as a smile stretched across his lips, “Carry on, Sergeant.”