» V «

“Wow, nice,” Jungwon gave me a thumbs up as I showed him pictures of my collection of various plushies.

I merely grinned at his cute reaction. Communicating with him was hard but we seemed to get along really well.

I suddenly remembered the quiet figure sitting with us so I looked up to check on him when I caught him already staring at me.

I felt my heart pacing up before I smiled dumbly at him and he returned a bright one. I looked down at my phone at once to hide how flushed my face was getting.

“Let's hang out after school?” Jungwon spoke word by word in order for me to understand.

I thought for a while before nodding, “That would be great.”

“Am I allowed to tag along?” Jake asked Jungwon, slightly pursing his lips.

Jungwon chuckled, “Yes, sure. Why not? We probably need your help because of the language barrier.”

“Huh...so I'm going to be the third wheel translator?” Jake scoffed.

Jungwon laughed at Jake's words, making me curious but too timid to interfere and ask what he had said.

៚ · •

It was in the middle of the class when Jay nonchalantly turned around to face me and ask, “Do you need help?”

“Uh...no thanks,” I answered softly, not so sure.

He instantly turned back and we both continued to jot down the things the teacher was dictating.

I was rather surprised by myself by how good I was with catching up the spelling of the words. But I had a lot of doubts with the meanings.

I stole a glance at Jay's broad back before looking down at my notes. I should make the best out of it if he's willing to help, shouldn't I?

The teacher started writing something on the board as he said something about some of the exercises we had to do in the text while I was still busy noting down the things he had dictated.

I cursed under my breath, catching Jay's attention. He slightly turned his head without saying a word. I pressed my lips together before speaking, “I might need a little help here.”

He smiled as he turned around and asked, his voice gentle as ever, “Which part do you need help with?”

“Just the words I have highlighted, I'm not clear with their meanings. And what did the teacher say just now?” I spoke.

“He just told us to work on the exercises while he goes out to get his "other book" he left in the office, I suppose.”

“Oh, shouldn't you be doing that then? I'm just wasting your time.”

“He didn't mention anything about it being due today or anything so it's alright. I'll help you with it first and I'll just copy it from you after we're done.”

I chuckled at his wise idea as I was quite amused by it, “Thanks.”

“Don't mention it,” he merely smiled before he started helping me with the meanings and exercises from the text.

៚ · •

I was in the middle of going through the notes Jay had helped me with when the last bell rang and everyone started moving about and getting ready to leave.

I looked around before gazing down at my watch. I reluctantly closed my book and kept it inside my bag.

“Excuse me, coming through,” Jungwon's voice rang from a distant, making me instantly look up to see him walking in our classroom with a smile.

“I rushed over because you might've forgotten about me. Are you ready to leave?” He asked and I merely nodded, only fully understanding the last part of his sentence.

“Hey hey hey, where are you going?” Jay looked up at Jungwon from his seat with a curious look on his face.

Jungwon chuckled, “Somewhere. Maybe a book cafe. Wanna join?”

“Eh...” Jay glanced at me, contemplating before shaking his head, “Never mind. Have fun there.”

He abruptly stood up from his seat with his bag to join the other students who were leaving the classroom. Jungwon stared at him until he disappeared.

“That moron— Jay, hold up!” Sunghoon exclaimed before stumbling his way out from the room to catch up with his friend.

I grabbed my bag and stood up before looking at the boy directly into his eyes, “Let's go.”

“Yes— but where's Jake?” Jungwon looked at the empty seat in front of Jay's seat.

“I...don't know.”

“Well, I guess we'll have to go without him and bare with the language barrier. If that's okay with you.”

I simply hummed and gave him an ‘okay’ sign. He laughed, “I know you didn't understand me fully but that's cute.”

P O V

The sound of water running from the tap filled the boys' toilet as Jake washed his face after forcing himself to stay calm.

He breathed through his mouth as he closed his eyes shut, his sharp fangs slowly shrinking and disappearing. That was close. He winced and wiped his face before leaning on the wall and releasing a heavy sigh. What's wrong with me?

He swallowed the lump in his throat before gazing down at the mess he had made in there. It has been over a decade when I last acted like this. What's so special about Emma?

He tidied himself up before snatching the bag lying on the corner of the room and walking out from there like nothing happened.

Maybe it's a sign to keep an eye on her. If only Heeseung was still here, I could've asked him for some advice. He looked over the railing and at the school compound and directly noticed Jungwon and Emma heading to the same direction together. How could I forget?

He started pacing up to follow the two figures until he bumped onto Jay and Sunghoon on the way as the two of them argued about a particular topic in one of the corridors.

“Hey, we were just wondering where you disappeared to. I didn't see you leaving the classroom,” Sunghoon spoke.

“I had to use the toilet,” Jake rubbed his nape.

“Again? Are you constipated or something?” Jay asked jokingly.

Jake remained silent before speaking, “It's not funny, Jay.”

Jay made a guilty face and looked away. Sunghoon cackled, “Alright, since I'm free this month, what do we do?”

“Oh— sorry, I gotta go. Jungwon and Emma are probably waiting for me,” Jake waved before dashing off.

The two boys watched him as he left. Sunghoon sneered, “Something's off with him.”

“Something is always off with him,” Jay scoffed.

© 2022 -JAKISM