Untitled Part 2

Chapter 27

Chapter Notes

See the end of the chapter for notes

Long after the meeting ended, after everybody but you and Levi had gone home and the only lights on in the Embassy were the hallway ones turning glass walls into prisms, you and he stood together in the darkness of his office, coats on, ready to leave.

"I can drop you off," Levi offered.

Neither of you moved behind his closed door. Neither of you even attempted to reach for it.

"You'd have to travel halfway across the city," you replied, smiling at him in the dark. Reaching forward, finding the steel of the door handle, pushing it open. "It's all right. Subway's still open. I can find my way back."

Yellow orange hallway light spilled in. You stepped out, carpet to tile, Levi behind you. "On second thought, I'll catch the train, too. I'm only two stops from here."

His door clicked shut. "You have a meeting first thing in the morning. And you have to drive to the venue because it's your chauffeur's day off and you won't let me take his place." In the gentle, lonely lightness of deserted cubicles, you offered him a grateful look. "Drive home. Save yourself the trouble tomorrow."

You began walking. His footsteps were quiet just a little behind you.

"I can come here for the car before my meeting," he insisted, now falling into step, now intentionally crowding you in the relatively narrow corridor.

His persistence was endearing.

"That won't do. You have a long drive and an early meeting. You need to get going before the subway even opens." When you glanced at him, his brows were knit in deep thought; mouth pressed into a thin line. "It's fine, Levi. I'm a big girl. I can get back to the House by myself."

Just as you were about to round the corner to the front offices, when you were just shy of the wrecked reception and the dented elevator bays beyond, Levi caught you by the elbow. You half turned.

"It's dark and I've kept you out so late. At least let me walk you to the station." The depth of everything he wanted to say but did not was scrawled clear across his face.

You found yourself relenting. "Okay."