Chapter 14

Two signs appeared on the notice board in the Gryffindor common room that week. The first, Ron told Harry, announced that tryouts would be held next week for the positions of Chaser and Seeker on the Gryffindor quidditch team. Harry felt his stomach clench. He'd known this was coming but having it there for all to read didn't make it any easier.

"You should try out, mate," said Ron.

"Try out for my own position," muttered Harry. "Wood didn't even talk to me about being cut." More than anything, he thought, that stung.

The other notice informed them about the first scheduled visit to the village of Hogsmeade. "All students, third year and above," read Hermione to Harry, "will be allowed to attend the weekend outing with a signed permission from a parent or guardian."

"Oh brilliant," said Harry sarcastically. "The Dursleys won't sign mine, I know it."

"You could ask Professor McGonagall to sign it," suggested Ron.

Harry applied this suggestion on Saturday morning as the students bound for Hogsmeade lined up with their permission forms. To his dismay, Professor McGonagall refused, stating flatly that the rules did not allow for anyone other than a parent or guardian to sign the form. Angrily, Harry stomped back up to his dorm as Ron and Hermione blithely walked through the late-September frost to the village where any number of delights awaited.

Harry sat glumly in the Gryffindor common room staring at the fire. He was so wrapped up in his thoughts he hardly noticed when someone entered the room and sat down in a chair opposite him.

"Harry?" the voice sounded timid. Harry looked up. A dark blur. Who was it?

"Hi," he said as brightly as he could manage, hoping desperately that whoever had greeted him would give him more clues before he was forced to admit he had no idea who it was.

"Why aren't you at Hogsmeade?" The voice was light, definitely a girl. His mind raced through the list of girls he knew, but he still wasn't sure.

"My relatives didn't sign my permission form," he said grumpily. "How about you?"

"Well, second-years aren't allowed to go," she explained patiently and Harry suddenly knew it was Ginny Weasley.

"Oh, of course," Harry said in a self-deprecating tone. "How stupid of me."

"It must really stink not to be able to go," continued Ginny and Harry wondered why she thought she needed to rub salt in the wound.

"Well, err, yeah it does," said Harry, giving her a puzzled look.

"Maybe you can still get there," she said in a conspiratorial tone.

"What do you mean?" asked Harry, now completely asea.

Ginny pulled something out of her pocket and held it up. "I nicked it from Fred and George last summer," she said with delight.

"What is it?" Harry asked, intrigued.

"The Marauder's Map," said Ginny in a low, confidential tone. "Last summer I spied on Fred and George quite a bit. I mean, growing up with them you learn to watch your back anyway, but I decided to really learn what they were up to. They didn't even suspect their sweet little sister," she explained, a touch of bitterness lacing her voice, as if being the youngest and never being taken seriously had eaten at her. "So," she said briskly and spread the map on the table.

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good," she said, touching the map with her wand.

She and Harry both stared at the parchment. "I'm afraid," he said awkwardly, "I can't see it."