three - corruption

"Brake, brake! Now!"

Harry cringed as the car jolted forward, sending them both rocking forward into their seatbelts. They didn't actually hit the curb in front of them, but the vehicle seemed to rebound, which was miraculous considering that he refused to drive over ten miles per hour.

He threw a pout toward the passenger side. "I'm awful."

Louis looked a bit frazzled, one hand still bracing himself on the dashboard, but his blue eyes twinkled with amusement. "You'll get the hang of it. It's only your second time trying."

"At this rate, I'll be able to get around the parking lot smoothly by next year."

"Baby steps," Louis replied. "You want to try one more lap around?"

"Do I have to?"

"Since we're here, yes. It's good to end our lesson on a positive note, right?"

"What if I tell you that I've got a bad feeling?"

"That's not you being psychic," Louis chided him, "that's just you being a baby."

"But I'm scared for a good reason! I'm going to wreck and kill us both in the lowest-speed crash in history!"

Louis couldn't help the barking laugh that escaped him, ringing through the small space. "Harry, love, there's no way you could kill us. You're driving too slowly and there's nothing you could even crash us into. If I thought you couldn't do it, I would tell you to stop."

Harry eyed him suspiciously. "Really?"

"Really. I promise."

Harry looked like he wanted to argue, but one look at the pink flush of his cheeks told Louis that he was right. Psychic abilities and all, Harry still got nervous just like everyone else.

"You ready?"

"Absolutely not." Harry reached for the gear shift anyway.

"Wait, wait." Louis caught his wrist before he could grab it, squeezing. "Give me a kiss first."

Harry huffed, but the lines on his face spelling out his anxiety softened as Louis leaned over the center console to press their lips together. Louis's thumb rubbed circles on the inside of his wrist, pressing down over his pulse point like he could physically settle it from the outside.

Harry was still chasing after Louis's lips when the older boy sat back in his seat. "Alright. Now you're ready."

He looked doubtful, but he pressed down on the brake, getting ready to shift the car into gear.

"Put it in reverse," Louis coached him gently. "You just need to back up a little bit to get away from this stupid fucking curb, then you can go straight around the lot. Nice and smooth."

His brow creased with focus, and Louis had to bite back another smile.

The parking lot was completely empty aside from a few streetlamps, but he still kept a close eye on Harry's steering. He had dealt with enough police officers over the past few months. The last thing he needed was to try to explain how his boyfriend had crashed into the one obstacle in the entire open lot.

He barely reached eight miles per hour. Louis couldn't help watching the speedometer. He didn't mind (normally, he was the impatient one, but never with Harry). They inched around the lot in slow motion. Harry's shoulders were so tense that Louis felt positive that the younger boy was holding his breath.

Finally, with no major hiccups, they came back to their original place. The car slowed to a stop, a very smooth brake for a beginner. Then again, Harry was always careful -- always gentle.