The First Battle That I Nearly Survived - Chapter 5

Throughout the duration of the cooking class, I would occasionally slip my hand in my skirt pocket and run my finger over the necklace feeling the jade on it. I badly wanted to take it out and hold it up to the light letting it gleam in the flourescent light.

As soon as cooking class was over I quickly packed up and dashed to study hall. I didn't have the desire to talk to anyone, I had to visit someone for some more answers. I slid open the door with a bang and breathed heavily from running so fast. Out of all the people to see, why did it have to be her?

She nodded at me then noticed my flushed expression, "You seem like you were in a hurry to tell someone something."

Damn! I hate her whole mind reading thing. But I cleared my throat and went along with it anyway, "I need to ask you something and if you say no I will find a way to find out."

Sakura nodded, "My address is actually not far away from your house."

Again with the mind reading! I hope this doesn't become a habit...

"Sometimes I think it's more like a burden then a gift."

"Whatever," I said with a wave of my hand, "I'll walk home with you and then you have to answer my questions. I'm still not sure what to expect of my so called "powers over fire."

Sakura turned away from me then looked down at her desk, "Trust me. You'll find out soon. But I don't think you're going to like it."

The warning bell rang and kids started to pour into the study hall. Yuko came in and spotted me before I had time to get to my desk and walked over, "Yukari-chan where were you? I couldn't find you in the cooking class after it let out and I got worried. You weren't in the hall either...but whatever. I was hoping that after school-"

"I won't be going home with you," I said bluntly cutting her off, "I need to find out about my powers and I'll be going home with Sakura...no hard feelings?"

Yuko blinked at me then grinned, "Well as long as you two are getting along then it's fine with me. I'll call you later then?"

"Sure."

Yuko gave us one last grin before skipping to her desk. What excited Yuko more than snacks was seeing her friends get along, typical Yuko behavior.

The bell rang a final time for everyone to get to class. Sensei walked in and everyone automatically went to their seats and quietly worked on homework. My mind for some reason kept wondering from my english and thinking what Sakura meant by "you'll find out soon." I was also wondering what I "wasn't going to like." So far those things were homework and my brother with my brother being at the top of the list. Whatever it was, it was making me nervous...and I didn't like it.

Once study hall let out I quickly packed and strode over to Sakura's desk. Whatever it was that I wasn't going to like, I didn't care. I was more concerned with the questions starting with "Why is Sensei Tsuyori helping me?"

Sakura packed her bag, but took longer making me impatient. She had warned not to talk about it anywhere unless we were alone and could discuss it among ourselves. I surely wasn't taking any chances with all these people here.

"Ok. I can't tell you about your powers, you'll have to find out on your own. However, you can train them and one way of doing that is by fighting."

"Fighting what?" I asked.

Sakura looked around frantically. Apparently no one heard my outburst. She frowned and put a finger on her lips.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh, sorry." I said sarcastically, then lowered my voice, "Fighting what?"