I Place An Underwater Phone Call

Percy's Pov:

The cabins were the weirdest collection of buildings you've ever seen. Zeus and Hera's big white-columned buildings, Cabins One and Two, stood in the middle, with five gods' cabins on the left and five goddesses' cabins on the right, so they all made a U around the central green and the barbecue hearth. 

I made the rounds, telling everybody about capture the flag. I woke up some Ares kid from his midday nap and he yelled at me to go away. When I asked him where Clarisse was, he said, "Went on a quest for Chiron. Top secret!" 

"Is she okay?" 

"Haven't heard from her in a month. She's missing in action. Like your butt's gonna be if you don't get outta here!" 

I decided to let him go back to sleep. 

Finally, I got to Cabin Three, the cabin of Poseidon. It was a low gray building hewn from sea stone, with shells and coral fossils imprinted in the rock. Inside, it was just as empty as always, except for my bunk. A Minotaur horn hung on the wall next to my pillow. 

I fiddled with Y/n's ring which was on my ring finger. I'd give it to her when I found her. And I would find her. 

I took off my wristwatch and activated the shield. It creaked noisily as it spiraled out. Dr. Thorn's spikes had dented the brass in a dozen places. One gash kept the shield from opening all the way, so it looked like a pizza with two slices missing. The beautiful metal pictures that my brother had crafted were all banged up. In the picture of me, Y/n, and Annabeth fighting the Hydra, it looked like a meteor had made a crater in my head. I hung the shield on its hook, next to the Minotaur horn, but it was painful to look at now. Maybe Beckendorffrom the Hephaestus cabin could fix it for me. He was the best armorsmith in the camp. I'd ask him at dinner. 

I was staring at the shield when I noticed a strange sound—water gurgling—and I realized there was something new in the room. At the back of the cabin was a big basin of gray sea rock, with a spout like the head of a fish carved in stone. Out of its mouth burst a stream of water, a saltwater spring that trickled into the pool. The water must've been hot because it sent mist into the cold winter air like a sauna. It made the room feel warm and summery, fresh with the smell of the sea. 

I stepped up to the pool. There was no note attached or anything, but I knew it could only be a gift from Poseidon. 

I looked into the water and said, "Thanks, Dad." 

The surface rippled. At the bottom of the pool, coins shimmered—a dozen or so golden drachma. I realized what the fountain was for. It was a reminder to keep in touch with my family. 

I opened the nearest window, and the wintry sunlight made a rainbow in the mist. ThenI fished a coin out of the hot water. 

"Iris, O Goddess of the Rainbow," I said, "accept my offering." 

I tossed a coin into the mist and it disappeared. Then I realized I didn't know who to contact first. 

My mom? That would've been the "good son" thing to do, but she wouldn't be worried about me yet. She was used to me disappearing for days or weeks at a time. 

My father? It had been way too long, almost two years, since I'd actually talked to him. But could you even send an Iris message to a god? I'd never tried. Would it make them mad, like a sales call or something? 

I hesitated. Then I made up my mind. 

"Show me Tyson," I requested. "At the forges of the Cyclopes." 

The mist shimmered, and the image of my half-brother appeared. He was surrounded in fire, which would've been a problem if he weren't a Cyclops. He was bent over an anvil, hammering a red-hot sword blade. Sparks flew and flames swirled around his body. There was a marble-framed window behind him, and it looked out onto dark blue water—the bottom of the ocean.