01: Pieces

"I may look cold, but I care. I may look heartless, but I love you through words. I'm only tough in front of you, to protect you like a shield."

—————

"Okay. I'll agree to it. I'll try to tell her today."

You heard your mom's conversation, and you were curious as to what she was talking about. It could have been anything. Either a new opening of the cheer club at NYU, or the glee audition that everyone has been talking about. But regardless, you wanted to know who was she referring you to. 

3 hours later, it was dinner time. 7 pm, everyone was at the table. You, mom, and dad were eating ravioli, your favorite meal. Your mood was at its peak, until your parents had to butt in. Making it even worse.

"Y/N, I had a business call regarding of the Taylor Company." Mom said, while staying so stern it creeped you out a while. Why is she acting like this?

"And, what's that supposed to do with me, mom?"

"Oh, you will get married by the Lazano family's son." She said it so calmly you couldn't even take it seriously. But when they exchanged looks at you, you knew she was telling the truth.

You couldn't believe it. The Lazano family. Known to have the richest income of a mafia family. And You. Y/N Taylor, was going to marry a man you didn't even meet? 

You surely didn't like this at all.

—————

Yet here you were, in this stage of life. The only thing you were trying to focus on was the lifestyle that you had with the family, and your social status. You wanted to keep a low profile in the presence of the public, but also stand out from a top-class family. Did you want any of this? No. Were you against this? Yes.

If only other people would understand, that you had a different mindset than others. Then all of the missing pieces that they wanted to solve would make sense to themselves.

Life is a jigsaw puzzle. And that's the truth.