25

A crowd of citizens and guests was already filling the Dragon City's main square, even though there was still time for the main event. On a platform, three rows of chairs were prepared for the guests of honour: the heroes of war, politicians and other influential people. Some of the chairs were already occupied, most still empty.

Luo was standing in the first row, near the platform, recognising the familiar faces. He turned to Jiang Feng.

"Your brother isn't coming?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"He decided that it would be inappropriate to be here today," Feng fixed his glasses.

"Seriously." Luo shook his head. "Did he not get my entire morning speech or something?"

"Let him be. I believe that he needs time to digest the situation."

"You're spoiling him, Brother Black," Fei muttered.

"Hey!" Da Qing approached from behind the barriers, wearing an official suit and showing off the VIP entry pass. "Your dad's gonna get a merit medal from the Xingdu Bureau."

"Wow. That's cool. What about us?" Luo ruffled Da Qing's hair.

"What do you mean?" Instead of moving away to keep his haircut pristine, Da Qing moved closer, lowering his head.

"We saved the whole city. Shouldn't we get something too? I mean, If it weren't for Xiao Wei, we would've all been dead right now."

"Sssh," both Deputy put their hands on Luo's mouth. "It's all top-secret. The public can't know that their lives depended on some kids," Da Qing hissed.

"All right, just kidding," Luo shook his head and looked at the podium. A beautiful woman in an eye-catching bright red dress and a black leather jacket took her place next to Chu Shushi.

"Holy crap. Hong Jie hasn't changed a bit! Does she still work for us?"

"No, of course not." Da Qing shook his head. "Zhu Hong quit a few months after the whole ordeal with Dixing. Said she didn't have the reason to stay any longer. She's here as a representative and the head of the Yashou tribes."

"That's a pity." Luo sighed, not taking his eyes from her.

The snake woman sensed being observed and quickly looked around.

"Say," she turned to Chu Shuzhi. "Who is Da Qing talking to?"

"Huh?" He followed her gaze. "That's the annoying brat from the high school. Zhao Yunlan's obsessive fan. Got on my nerves the moment I saw him."

Luo, observing the couple, wondered how a person can have a bored and murderous look at the same time. He grinned and, catching Zhu Hong's eye, winked and blew her a kiss. The woman blinked rapidly, feeling that she was beginning to blush.

"See," Old Chu narrowed his eyes. "Annoying as hell."

"He is kind of cute, though," the woman admitted.

Luo was about to send the woman another kiss when his hand got caught by Jiang Feng.

"What are you doing?" the boy demanded in a low voice.

"What? I'm just messing with..." Luo trailed off, seeing Feng's furrowed brows. "The wrong person, apparently. Sorry, my dear Brother Black. Won't happen again."

Jiang Feng nodded. "As long as you understand what you did was wrong," he said in his academic tone. Da Qing snorted.

"You're a hopeless case, my master Luo. That's no surprise, though. I gotta go. I'll see you after the ceremony." He briskly walked away. Luo looked back at the podium, recognising some familiar faces.