Ⅰ

He watched her as she was gracefully twirling in the field filled with flowers. 

Her laugh had pulled him to the field, like a sailor to a siren. The beautiful sound had resonated deep within him and had dragged him to the edge of the forest. She was beautiful. She looked so happy and content, that the man was mesmerized.

The young woman couldn't see the man whom she had enchanted, but she did feel his gaze on her. She stood still and looked around.

 At the end of the meadow, at least 15 feet away from her, began a dark gloomy forest. 

When the woman had seen the spot for the first time, it had shocked her how different the meadow and the forest looked.

 The meadow was a place always filled with light even when it was dark outside. It was a place filled with grass, colorful flowers, and the sound of birds in the sky. A place filled with happiness. Filled with love.

The forest on the other hand was a place filled with shadows. 

With silence. 

She didn't even hear the rustling of leaves in the wind. The trees forming a wall between the meadow and the forest looked hundreds of years old and stood tall and proud. The color of the leaves was such a dark green, it almost seemed black, and the stems were a very dark brown. 

The place was filled with darkness and pain. She could feel it. It was radiating with power, as well as an underlying sadness.

Yet, the woman was not scared. It saddened the young goddess to see the pain that was lingering in the forest. She wanted to touch the dark trees with the tips of her fingers and take away their pain. Soothe them and make them feel better. 

But she couldn't. 

Her mother had made her promise not to enter the forest under any circumstances, otherwise she wasn't allowed to visit the meadow.

Still standing at a 15 feet distance from the forest, she tried to look between the barrier of tall cedar trees, trying to see if there was anything or anyone there that could have watched her, but she couldn't. 

 The woman noticed something weird. Something that she had not noticed before.

 Every time she tried to look between the trees, it had looked as if they moved closer together, but when she focused, they stood still. 

That's impossible, she thought. She let it off as a figment of her imagination. Her mother did always say that she had too big of an imagination.

A small breeze made her snap out of her thoughts. She was probably tired and imagining things, she thought.

 Yes, that must be it. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the small breeze caressing her face. Her flowy white dress fluttered in the wind.

The man, who was hidden behind one of the many trees, stopped breathing as he continued to watch the breathtaking girl. The powerful god, who has never known anything except death, chaos, and war had never seen anything so serene.

 Pieces of her dark hair moved in front of her face and the yellow and white flowers in her flower crown rustled. 

His fingers tingled, wanting to caress her face and brush through her soft and long hair, and he clenched his hands into fists.

The girl slowly opened her eyes. The content smile, that she didn't even know she was wearing, but he did, faded when she realized she had to go. 

She wanted to stay in the meadow, but it was getting dark, and Demeter would get mad if she wasn't home soon.

 A deep sigh left her mouth and she bend down and grabbed the wooden basket that she had brought with her. It was filled with bread, cheese, and different kinds of flowers that she had picked out from the field.

The man furrowed his brows and started panicking, something that he hasn't done in his thousands of years existing.

 The god was known for his cold heart. He was known for not caring about anything, except power. 

And yet, this young woman who he hadn't even met yet, became more important to him than all the power in all the worlds, the second he had heard her laugh.

He didn't want her to leave. He wanted, he needed her to stay. He needed to know her name. He needed to hear her voice. 

The god suddenly needed a thousand things from this woman, while he had never in his lifetime needed anything from anyone.

He tried to take a step forward, just like he tried hours ago when he first saw her. Again, he hit the invisible wall that marked the end of his territory. 

The man grew enraged. 

He needed to see her up close. He needed to touch her skin. He needed to look into her eyes, see their colors and need her to see him.

 He spread his wings in fury. His black, feathered wings were so great and powerful, that spreading them released a small surge of power, creating an earthquake.

The young goddess stumbled as the ground beneath her shook. It was over as fast as it started, but it was enough for her to hurry back home.

 She looked at the field and the forest one last time before she left, her eyes lingering on the dark trees of the forest. She soundlessly promised that she would soon visit again and she turned around with a heavy heart. 

Why didn't she want to leave? Why did she feel the desire to stay? 

She knew she would visit again, so why did she feel more and more empty with each step she took? As if a piece of her soul was somewhere between those trees.

 It felt as if she was one end of a cord and the forest the other end. The further she walked away, the harder she got pulled back.

 She shook her head and fastened her steps, trying to think of trivial things, such as what she was going to eat tonight, and if she had already watered the plants in the garden.

 She continued her stroll home, further and further away from the god she had enchanted with heart and soul.

The man watched her with longing as she walked away. As he continued to watch her petite figure grow smaller and smaller, he also made a promise to himself. 

Clenching his fists and closing his eyes, he pointed his chin upwards towards the sky and whispered it, letting the words fall out of his mouth between his gritted teeth. 

The promise was made with so much passion, that the ground under him shook once again. 

The god opened his eyes and relaxed his hands. His wings disappeared, folding back into his body. He let out a deep breath, trying to regain some version of control.

He looked at the field of flowers once more, before he turned around. He started his way back to his palace, hidden deep in the forest behind an invisible wall. 

The palace where he would be alone once again, with only the memory of her keeping him company.

What Hades, the God of the Underworld, didn't know was that his palace, now dark and lonely, would soon be filled with her beautiful laughter.

Let me know if you want to read the second chapter! <3