Prologue

Noelle

The day I met Harry is the day my life began or so it seems. I mean my whole life I have lived simply with the goal of survival. I never got to live for myself and have fun, not until I met Harry.

We met on the first day of classes, freshman year. He sat next to me in the giant theater style classroom, there were a billion other seats but he chose the one directly next to me. In hindsight, I see exactly why he did that but at the time I was annoyed.

Why would someone sit directly next to someone else if they didn't have to? I pondered that question for weeks because every Monday and Wednesday at 11 am without fail he sat right next to me.

He finally spoke to me at the beginning of October when the professor assigned a group project. As soon as the professor dismissed us to find our groups he asked if I wanted to work with him, to which I agreed because I didn't know anyone else.

We went to get coffee to talk about the project but really we just sat and got to know each other. We totally lost track of time as well and both missed our next class that day, but neither of us minded that. He was so easy to talk to and I could help but be mesmerized by that smile of his and those green eyes.

The next couple of weeks we spent so much time together and there really wasn't a moment where we weren't talking whether it was in person or texting.

Then came Halloween, the night that changed the whole trajectory of my life.

I was never one to go to parties like that one but Harry promised he would stay by my side the whole night, which he did and we woke up together the next morning. It's a tale as old as time, guy and girl get drunk and sleep together and don't remember the night before.

I can't say for sure if I regret that night yet or not. At this moment as I stare down on the two lines on the pregnancy test I just took, I feel regret but who is to say that I will always regret it. I know I have options but fuck how does one even go about making a decision like that. Do I tell harry? I think I have to, right? Would he hate me? Why would he? I mean he is as much responsible for this as I am.

God, he's gonna run for the hills the second I tell him. He is a great guy but I can't see him wanting to raise a kid, not now at least. He's probably at a party doing keg stands right now as I stare down at this goddamn test.

"fuck!" I mumble out of frustration completely forgetting that I am currently in the communal dorm bathroom.

"Are you okay?" I hear someone from behind the door ask which I recognize as my roommate's voice.

"Cora, will you come in here please?" I unlocked the door and let her open it.

"oh it's you, you want me to come into the bathroom stall with you?" Cora looks unsure but she glances around to make sure no one is around before she comes in. "What's up?"

I just put the test into her hand and her eyes widened,'you're pregnant?" she's louder than I would like and she notices immediately. "Sorry, oh my god. Are you okay, what are you going to do?" she asks.

"I have absolutely no clue." I feel defeated at this moment but also more anxious than I have ever been.

In this moment I become aware of the fact that I am currently sitting on the floor of a communal bathroom and the thought makes my stomach churn. "I need to get up before I get sick." Cora is quick to take my hand and help me up off the floor.

"Come on, we have ice cream in the freezer." I nod and start heading back to our dorm. Though that's when Cora's questions start and I sigh. She wants all the details which checks out.