Alice

"The bird and the worm" by The Used
***

Fear enveloped my entire being the moment the fabric bag was placed over my head. Although, I could immediately tell the intent was not to kill me. Not only from judging by their words but because of how whomever was handling me did so in a delicate manner.
 Sure, my hands and feet were bound and there was a bag on my head, but other than that I wasn't abused worse in the situation. For the time being, I was safe. Once the bag was tied along with my hands and feet, I was easily tossed over someone's shoulder. I was trying not to hyperventilate while the bag was on my head. I didn't notice being carried out and I didn't notice being tossed into what felt like the trunk of a car. The small space was limited and unmovable; there was nothing else around me. The only thing I could do was cry and tried not to think what these horrible people were going to do to Wendy once they had found her. I tried not to sob as I wondered what my twin had gotten herself into out here.

By the time we arrived at a new destination, I also tried not to think about what horrible torture scenarios awaited me. In my life I had watched many movies that involved unscrupulous individuals such as this. Bad men did bad things to people; unknowing schlubs were often killed off and then never seen or heard from again when they involved themselves with people like this. Today I was that schlub. What would these men do to make Wendy come back to Chicago; send pictures of my mutilated corpse? Send her parts of my body one little piece at a time until she got their message...? Only time would tell.

Eventually I was taken out of the trunk and brought to a new place entirely. That was when I really started to feel fear. According to the movies, the second location was always used so they didn't make a mess when it came to torturing or disposing of someone. This new location was quiet; I couldn't hear any cars or traffic, making me think it was late at night. I had lost track of time throughout the day; the air against the back of my neck was cool, making me think my thought that it was night was accurate. I was still being carried. Slung over a man's shoulder as easily as someone would carry a measly bag of potatoes. I tried not to sob as I wondered what tortures awaited me. Soon enough, we had reached our destination and I was flung to the side like a rag doll. I had been anticipating a painful fall to the floor while tied up; I was wrong.
My fall was brief and soft, landing on my left side was a mattress with silk sheets. I gasped fearfully as I felt someone untie my feet and hands.
"Don't be stupid, Ms. Carroll. Keep in mind; we'll be watching you."

I said and did nothing as I shivered in place at the threat. My hands and feet finally felt they had circulation returning. Soon I felt the weight of whomever was on the bed vanish. There had been multiple individuals in the room for a while. I heard moving in both the room I was in and whatever room was nearby. Now I was alone. A door slammed shut. I waited before removing the bag from my head, once I did, I found something shocking.
I was back in Wendy's apartment.
The simple bedroom with the unmade bed and black sheets was where I was placed. The light for the room was on, as was the lights in the adjourning room. I slowly peeled myself from the bed, feeling frightened. Why would they simply drop me off where I started...?

Getting up from the bed I crept to the doorway, wondering if perhaps my captors were still inside the apartment. Not being able to see or hear anyone, I slowly made my way out of the bedroom. There was no one in the living room. Nor was there someone in the kitchen. There was no one in the hallway or the bathroom either. Whoever it was that had kept me simply brought me back completely unharmed. It was seeing my cellphone on the breakfast bar counter that suddenly had me sprinting forward to it. I needed to call the police about what I had seen and been through. But this was the wrong thing to do. Before I could reach my phone, someone collided into me; easily scooping me in a one-arm hold around my waist while the other hand cupped my throat and forced my jaw up. I hadn't the faintest idea that someone had been inside the closet next to the door. They had clearly been waiting for me.

"You don't listen to direction well, Ms. Carroll," said a voice I recognized. It belonged to the man that had kept me pinned back at the strip club. My teeth chattered as I trembled in place. I could smell the man's sea-cotton scent given his close proximity.
"Not ten minutes after you feel we vanished do you attempt to call the authorities? Are you stupid or just lack an ability to take direction?"
"W-what would you do if s-someone held you captive and then wanted you to p-pretend like nothing was wrong? I'm s-scared."

That was when I noticed the man's hold on my throat lapsed. My head was swiveled, and we locked eyes. Perhaps he could see the utter fear behind my eyes for his expression wasn't cruel or harsh as Mr. Barrie's had been. His gaze bore into me, his expression an analytical one.
A very heavy silence paused between us as he released me. I couldn't tell how long it was, but I didn't dare try running for the door or my cell phone.
"You're not Wendy," he finally said, his eyes never leaving mine.
"I'm not," I admitted in a small voice. Maybe my best option was honesty. "I'm really here to find her. I haven't heard from her in six months."
"Bout' the time she left Chicago."
I nodded. "I honestly have no idea what she was into out here. I just came to tell her..." I trailed off. Telling this man about our parents was too personal; he didn't deserve to know that information.
"Tell her what?"
I said nothing. I didn't want to tell this man anything more. He took one massive step towards me. "Tell her what? Share with me or you'll be sharing with Peter."
I cringed. Peter was Mr. Barrie. If I never saw that man again, I would die a happy girl. "I n-need to tell her our parents passed away." My voice broke at the end of my explanation.
The man nodded slowly. "How long ago did they pass?"
"Around the time she s-stopped writing."
"Around the time she stopped writing," echoed the man softly. "And how often did she write her family?"
"Once a week, we didn't hear from her often." I looked to my feet out of embarrassment that I was admitting this all to a stranger.
"Why?"
"She and our mom had a falling out."
"Why?" he continued to probe.
I felt horrible and awkward, as if I was betraying Wendy by revealing any information. But I disliked the idea of what this man could do to me if I wasn't honest. "Difference of opinions."
"And that means...?"
"Mom wanted Wendy to go to college while she wanted to travel." My eyes couldn't leave my sock-clad feet as I avoided eye contact.
"Interesting. Wendy had simply said she wasn't close to her family."
"She wasn't wrong," I admitted to my feet.
"Then why did you come looking for her?"
"Our parents-"
"Are dead," he finished softly. "Why come look for the sister that ran away and didn't care for you or your parents?"
I suddenly felt offended on my sister's behalf. "She cares about us-"
"That's quite evident given the near decade with no communication." His tone was mocking.

I simply stared at him with wide eyes. "I don't have to explain why I'm looking for my sister to you."
"No," agreed the man. "But you will explain if you expect to live through this ordeal. My brother won't allow you to leave town without helping him find Wendy."
This revelation startled me. My eyes widened as I looked to him. "Your brother is Mr. Barrie?" That explained how their resemblance was so profound.
"The very same. And he will hold no qualms for slitting your throat and dumping you in the bay if you don't assist him," warned the man as he went to the front door in bold strides. "He wants the flash drive and he's not going to stop until he finds it." He didn't look at me as he said this.
"You say that as if I'm supposed to have any idea where to find it!"
"Oh I expect positively nothing from you, don't worry."
"Then how am I supposed to help find this flash drive thingy?" I demanded, following him to the door and noticing how he had snatched my cell phone off the counter on his way out.
The man stopped in the doorway and turned to face me. He hovered at six feet tall, all bulk and muscle over my slender frame. He smiled at me now but there was no genuine kindness behind it.
"You're not," he answered simply. "That'll be up to Wendy."
He opened the door and calmly walked down the hallways as he stuffed my cell phone into the pocket of his black blazer.
"But how can she find it if she's missing too??"
"That's where you come in, Ms. Carroll. Hopefully, you're the proper bait to lure your sister out of hiding."

I was wondering what the use of stealing my cellphone when I could just wait until the man leaves and go to the police. But to my dismay, there were two very large men standing outside my door as if waiting for me to do such a thing. It was then that I realized I was going to be held captive in this apartment until they found Wendy.
A sudden horrid thought filled me as one of the armed goons motioned for me to re-enter the apartment. I closed the door and locked it. I couldn't help but wonder; if Wendy never made a reappearance to return the missing flash drive...what were these men going to do to me?
***