Father

Horns blew in the distance followed by the cheers of a crowd. Vanafin blinked as he woke up back in his bed. His uncle Amras was asleep at the table beside the bed. Uncle Amrod was in the room as well, standing beside the window with the curtains pulled back.

Vanafin groaned as he sat up. His back felt like it was on fire and his left hand was completely numb. "What is going on, Uncle?" He asked.

Amrod turned in his direction. "Brother Tyelko is here. He just arrived a few moments ago." He smiled. "How are you feeling, Taurvo? When Brother Moryo brought you back to us, you were unconscious with a burnt hand." His smile dropped. "We are sorry, Taurvo. Tyelpe told us to watch over you, but Big Brothers would not allow it. Brother Moryo nearly sent us to the Halls to get to you."

"They had me swear to the oath."

Amrod went silent, looking down at the ground. "We know. Brother Curvo weaves his words to make others do as he says. We just wish we could have kept you safe until Eldest Brothers arrived."

By this time, Amras was finally waking up as well. He glanced briefly between the talking Elves before standing and grabbing a cup of water mixed with what medicine he had to help. Vanafin was then handed the cup to drink. Amras said nothing the whole time.

The drink was bitter. Vanafin held back the bile that wanted to come up. "So, you said Father has arrived?"

Amrod nodded before looking at his twin. Both of them were wearing the same silver robes. Several brass buttons trailed down the front. Amrod's robe also had a green band wrapped around the waist with his sword attached at the hip. Vanafin could not clearly see from his angle if Amras wore a similar band and sword.

"Yes," Amrod replied. "He arrived a few moments ago. From the sound of it, Brother Tyelko must already be inside, probably with Brother Curvo."

Amras walked over to the window to see for himself. He had a green band like his twin, but Vanafin couldn't see anything attached to it. "I can't see him outside."

As the twins began a conversation in Quenya, Vanafin slid to his feet. It hurt to stand, but the medicine seemed to be working at least a bit. Once he gained his balance, Vanafin began to move to the door. He had been waiting to see his father for many years now. Finally, he would get the chance.

Just before he reached the door, Amrod was there to hold him back. "Don't leave yet, Taurvo. If Brother Tyelko is with Brother Curvo, those two would likely be trouble for you. Stay here until Eldest Brothers arrive."

Vanafin shook his head. "I need to see Father. Let me go. I have already sworn to the oath. Uncle Curufin says Father would like to hear that. I wish to tell him myself if he has not already learned it."

The twins shared another glance.

"Tyelko is like that," Amras spoke up. "He will act like a friend, but if Curvo even mentions something against a person to Tyelko. Tyelko will follow Curvo's lead. From the story I have been hearing about you, Tyelko has never really met you in person. Going to him now, claiming you are his son and have sworn to our oath, could make him suspicious and possibly violent. Truly violent if Curvo has riled him up."

Vanafin stood there for a moment, staring at the closed door. He had to see his father. He just needed a plan to leave the twins' sides. "Can I at least see him from a distance? Like I did many years ago in Nargothrond?"

Amrod shrugged. "I guess... I don't see anything wrong with a glance from a distance." He looked back to his twin.

Amras sighed before waving them on through the door.

With the twins' approval, now Vanafin just had to find a chance to slip away.

They left the room. Amrod took the lead while Amras took the rear. They followed the hallway for a distance until it split. Turning right, they followed it down a flight of stairs that spiraled down to the level below. There was a short, dark hallway next. A heavy door blocked the stairway from the rest of the fortress. As they went through, it came out to a small hallway overhanging the entrance room. Another staircase was at the other end where it followed the wall down to the ground floor.