08: HEAVY LIES THE CROWN.

CHAPTER EIGHT
❪ HEAVY LIES THE CROWN ❫

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

— William Shakespeare

WITHOUT HER HELMET, Meirina was naked under the eyes of the smugglers, mercenaries and thieves

WITHOUT HER HELMET, Meirina was naked under the eyes of the smugglers, mercenaries and thieves. Like a meal on a silver plate, ready for anyone to take a bite. Han slipped past the first people, ignoring the stares of curiosity, which came close to what Rey did next to her. Wide eyes taking everything in, reckless in her steps as she was more interested in the different kinds of aliens and people than readying herself for any potential danger.

It itched her to see the brunette so mindless, staying close behind her, as Finn took a similar turn. Always one finger on the rifle's trigger. Her own hand hovered over the holstered blaster.

You could never be too careful. Especially around scoundrels. Those thoughts echoed in her head with her aunt's voice.

"HAN SOLO." Her uncle's name boomed through the tall hall, eyes which hadn't already laid on them now joined and all three of them turned into stone. The joyful, mellow music that had filled the hall before stopped within seconds and the famous thing of a needle could've been heard by any ear — alien or not.

"So far for laying low," Finn whispered, as Han tried himself on with a casual smile.

"Hey, Maz," he answered, watching the small, orange alien woman strode to them. As soon as she had joined them, the flow from before had continued and people cared only for their business again. Yet, Meirina couldn't shake off the nagging feeling of someone following every move of her muscle. The last days were wearing on her nerves.

Maz Kanata hasn't changed since Meirina last crossed paths with her. Dressed in dark brown worn-out leather, she looked far from anyone whom people would imagine as 'the pirate princess', but Kaz needed no sparky dress or jaw-dropping garments to impress — or in her case — intimidate someone. She knew how to handle the mass, conjure people to work together and definitely knew more about the hidden desires of people than they do themselves. She was a leader for a reason.