Age 16

Luke and Thalia break up on homecoming night.

It's only an hour into the night, Percy watches Luke drag Thalia out of the hall and into the parking lot. Even though it's been months since Percy has hung out with either of them, he keeps an eye on the two, watching as their silhouettes point accusatory fingers at each other.

Annabeth and Grover, who he came to the dance with, are swaying playfully on the dance floor, but he waves them over and nods to the open door that Thalia left, exposing her and Luke as they shout at each other.

"Should we check on them?" Grover asks, biting his thumb anxiously. Percy shrugs and watches Annabeth. Well, at this point, he's always watching Annabeth, especially tonight because she's in a dress he's never seen before, and it's the colour of the sea, his favourite.

"Annabeth?"

"It's not our business," she says softly, but her eyes never leave the couple. Percy nods, and keeps his eyes trained on them, worry growing in his throat as Thalia steps closer to Luke, getting in his personal space.

Even from here, Percy can feel Luke's anger, it's potent and vile and he almost doesn't recognise it on his old friend's face. He's about to tell Annabeth that they should intervene when someone lightly taps him on the shoulder. He whirls around, surprised, and forces a smile onto his face when he sees that it's Rachel Elizabeth Dare.

"Hey Percy."

Her voice catches Grover and Annabeth's attention and they both turn to look at her as well. She doesn't buckle under their gaze, keeping her bright eyes on Percy like she's on a mission.

"Hey Rachel, what's up?"

"I was wondering if maybe you wanted to dance?" She says it confidently, but as soon as she's done, she bites her lip and starts swaying back and forth on her feet like she can't stand still.

Dread fills Percy's body and he struggles to come up with a nice way to say no because he really does not want to dance, not right now.

Rachel must see it on his face because she gives him a sad smile and nods slowly. More dread fills his body and he glances anxiously to his friends at his side who are also waiting for an answer. Annabeth is frowning deeply and Grover has this sort of amused look on his face.

"Right, that's okay, uh, have a nice-" She starts and begins to walk away. Percy sighs and quickly reaches out, grabbing her wrist, when she pulls back he lets go quickly and holds his hands up in surrender.

"Wait- Rachel. Sorry," he stutters unsure of why he stopped her. He can feel his friends gaze on him as he speaks to Rachel but he doesn't turn, "Yes."

"Yes, what?" Rachel asks, narrowing her eyes suspiciously.

"Yes, I'll dance." Her face instantly brightens and he holds out a hand, which she takes.

Before he properly leaves, he quickly turns to Grover and Annabeth, whose mouth is wide open.

"Come get me if something happens with Thals and Luke." Grover nods but Annabeth just stares after him like he's speaking another language. He ignores the tight knot in his stomach and lets Rachel lead him to the dance floor, placing his hands lightly on her waist.

"What made you change your mind?"

"Hmm?"

"You weren't going to dance with me, what made you change your mind?" Percy blushes at the bluntness of her words and tries to come up with another excuse. As they're swaying to the music, he steps back and spins her a bit as the song reaches the chorus.