Prologue

"Bye, Mom and Dad!" 

Molly Weasley wiped a tear from her face as her eldest child was waving from the train. Arthur Weasley was standing next to her, holding a swaddled baby. 

Mia gazed out the window, watching as her younger brothers Bill and Charlie were play fighting on the platform, little Percy was standing as still as a statue, watching his older brothers play with disgust, the younger twins Fred and George running around the place. Her mother had started trying to round them up. And then her father was holding her youngest brother, Ron. 

Mia smiled. Even though she had always longed for a sister, her brothers were pretty awesome. She stopped gazing out the window and the train started pulling away from the station. She turned and sat in her empty compartment. Her happy feeling started to fade away. She hoped somebody in her year might not be able to find a compartment. She stared at the blank wall above one of the seats. 

"If only I had that owl." Mia muttered, searching in her bag for something to do. "Clothes, clothes, more clothes, oh, of course! Fred and George had to sneak a- AH!"

"Sorry!" A voice from outside said apologetically. "Is this compartment empty?" 

Mia turned and looked at the sliding door. A flustered looking short girl with black hair in pigtails was looking inside, the look of guilt etched on to her face. 

Mia opened the door, and nodded. "Yeah, this compartment is empty." She said coolly, though inside, her heart was blooming. 

A smiled formed on the girl's face, and she sat across from Mia. "Thanks!" The girl said. "Sorry for startling you with my knocking." 

"Its alright." Mia said. "I'm Mia." 

The girl placed her bag on the seat next to her, and looked up. "Hi! I'm Akira." 

Mia said, "Oh, thats a nice name!" 

Akira frowned. "Like, in a mean way? Yeah, I know. People make fun of my name all the time. Saying it's 'unusual'." 

Mia frowned as well. "No, it's actually really nice! Its cool you don't have a boring name."

Akira smiled once again. "You're starting at Hogwarts, right?" 

"Yeah, I am. You too?" 

"Yeah. I like your hair." 

Mia looked down at her long red braid. She blushed. "Thanks, my mom did it." 

Akira looked at her own pigtails. "I did these myself, my mom is too busy taking care of my younger siblings."

"How many siblings do you have?" Mia asked curiously. Akira laughed. "Too many to count. No, actually. I only have five sisters." 

Mia started to giggle. Akira looked at Mia with a look of confusion. "No- sorry. It's just that we have the same number of siblings! Only I have five brothers." 

Akira's eyes widened. "Yeah, my  dad says that if my new younger sibling is another girl, he's gonna go crazy." 

Both girls started laughing so hard that they were practically crying. 

A knock came on the compartment door. Mia and Akira both stopped laughing long enough to look at who it was. It was a tall boy with brown hair and glasses. He was holding a stack of books, and a bag was slung over one shoulder. He looked around cautiously, before looking to the girls. 

Akira slid open the door. "Hi, who are you?" She asked. 

The boy adjusted his bag. "Um hi. I'm Julian. Can I please sit here?" 

Mia nodded. "Sure. Where were you sitting before?" 

Julian blushed, as he sat down next to Mia. "I was with these group of what I thought were cool boys. But then they started making fun of my 'nerdy' glasses. So I left." 

Akira frowned. "I hate people like that. I'm Akira." She gave Julian a reassuring smile. Julian smiled sadly at her. He turned to Mia. 

"I'm Mia." Mia supplied. "First year?" 

Julian nodded. "I assume it's the same for you." He fidgeted in his seat. "When do you think the snack cart is coming?" Akira suddenly announced. They all started to laugh, and Mia felt nice and warm. 

She would miss her family, but she had a feeling that she was going to have some best friends at Hogwarts.