two.

the light screech of shoes rubbing off and causing friction on the floor of the indoor court was a welcome stimulation to hinata's ears. the bright lights that covered most of the high ceiling of the gymnasium blinded his sight yet it sent an incredibly welcome rush in his veins.

yes, this is it.

this is what he has been missing. the longing was more evident now that the court was right in front of him.

the echo of the gymnasium made him more self-aware, eventually not being able to tune out the mini-tour bokuto was giving him by pointing where is what and things he really didn't pay much attention to, he turned to look at the older male and grinned his signature excited smile. "this is just surreal," he pauses as he looks down on his two feet on the floor, it was a start.

a new beginning.

with a light tap on his shoulder, bokuto awakens him from his trance and chuckles, "you might be forgetting but everyone here is already starting to warm up for the tryouts. go on and get changed, i'll just go and find some of the team." he says as he starts to back up, hand pointing out to the direction of the changing rooms to hinata. "changing rooms are over there." he instructed and soon, hinata was on his own to get ready for the start of the tryouts.

the Black Jackals' tryouts will be lasting for 7 days, as bokuto advised they usually take this long to make sure to screen and filter every single potential out of each and every candidate. Black Jackals already have a solid reputation to uphold, so it does make sense that one of japan's best teams is going to be critical in choosing who to draft into their team. hinata came to the tryouts fully prepared for all kinds of outcomes, and yet his knees still tremble a little as he marches down the hall to the changing rooms.

despite being out of the country, hinata found himself being at the top of his game. his health conditions are at a peak so he isn't worried his body wouldn't keep up. if anything, the tryouts will be a question of his determination, and how far he could go given the situations he's going to be in. there's no question in his mind that he desperately wants to be drafted, and what's left to do is to do well.

he's anything but a coward.

he's going to face this head on.

he turns the knob of the changing room doors and enters, politely bowing to someone he saw in his peripheral vision, but not entirely paying attention to. he needs to be at the top of his game and concentration, besides it must be some of the candidates that are getting ready for a warm up before the tryout proper starts.

"shoyo-kun?"

at the sound of a voice calling his name, he turned to face a taller male. the male's ever brightly bleached hair, his enigmatic smile all too familiar for hinata to forget. blinking, surprised at the sudden meeting, he let himself unconsciously call the other by his name,

"atsumu-san."

sure enough, hinata wouldn't forget one of the most difficult people to handle across the court back in his high school years. they've faced each other in a few games and hinata was never not surprised at the prowess of skill the miya twins has; especially the male in front of him right at this moment.

atsumu breaks into a wide amused grin, leaning against one of the lockers. "look who it is," he remarks, looking at the shorter male from head to toe. his gaze was unreadable to hinata, as always. he never could figure out how the other male thinks, it applies to his game and how he carried himself even outside games.

"i heard you were overseas. but, i guess you came back since you're right in front of me." in a sheepish voice, hinata laughed lightly and responded, "well, yeah, i got back a few weeks ago." the younger male pauses as he sets his bag on one of the benches, "i'm actually here for the tryouts, i timed my arrival to make it on time." he informed the other.