Prostitute

I want shrimp.

- Les ❤️

Kelsey

Who is this woman?

In front of my eyes, a woman with long black hair and pale skin attempts to make eggs.

Key word: Attempts.

My mind drifts off to the days when I knew nothing of this woman.

My mind drifts off to days where I'd sit in Jacky's room, whispering embarrassing stories and throwing popcorn.

"How do you like your eggs?" She turns around, a ghost of a smile lingering on her face.

There's a long pause. I can tell she feels uncomfortable under my judging gaze, but I don't care. I'm seventeen, I don't need a babysitter.

Nonetheless, the woman my dad used to cheat with on mom.

"Why are you here, Mary?" I glare at her intently.

She swallows, "It's... Meredith."

"Doesn't answer my question," I stride into the kitchen, not letting my gaze leave her.

"Georgy- Uhm, your father- He asked me for a favor. I complied."

"Hm," Is all I can say as I take a seat on the island stool.

She places a plate of slightly burnt scrambled eggs in front of me, "Is that so hard to believe?"

Meredith was young. When I say young I mean about three years older than me young. Obviously it's weird- This whole situation is cursed.

"Let's see," I start playing with my food, "My parents start to fight, it turns into domestic violence, when they go to court not only do I find out your little 'Georgy' has been cheating on mom but now, his prostitute is my babysitter. So yes, Meredith, this is hard to believe."

She's awestruck but, tries to hide it. Her eyes shine with guilt, too ashamed to even look at me.

"I'm sorry," Is all she can fathom.

It's four in the morning, neither of us are prone to falling asleep anytime soon.

So I'm not against starting an argument and maybe smashing a few plates. I'm bored anyway.

"I can cook for myself, ya know." I start eating the crunchy scramble.

"I know," Meredith sits down in front of me, "We're supposed to get along. Figured I should start somewhere."

"We're never going to get along, Meredith."

"But maybe-"

"Life's gonna be a lot easier the sooner you realize that."

She bows her head, her long black hair cascading down her shoulders, hiding her sorrowed eyes.

I start walking up the stairs, "Easy on the salt next time."

* * *

"I hate her," My sobs echo throughout my room, and louder through the phone.

"Baby, she's the only person available to take care of you." Mom tries to soothe me.

The sun peeks in through my window, it's Friday. Which means I have forty eight hours to spend with my amazing new friend.

"I could've stayed with Elsia, you know that. Or- or grandma, Aunt Clarisse, Grandpa Jerome-"

"No, Kelsey. Do you think I like this circumstance? You know well that Elsia's mom is barely home. Your grandparents are five states away and Aunt Clarisse is not even in the country."