84. Confession

Alexander pulls away from her, face pale and eyes wide.

Y/N watches the flurry of emotions on his face.

He covers his mouth with a hand, tears freely falling from his violet-blue eyes.

"I had hoped that it wasn't true. I had hoped that I imagined it all," Alexander whispers shakily.

"I saw how close you were with Jefferson," he backs away until his back hits the wall. "I saw how he looked at you... I heard the whispers when I would walk into a room..."

"I thought I was paranoid!" he yells at her, face now red with anger. "I thought, 'oh, she couldn't possibly be so vengeful...!'"

"Alex-"

"No. I don't want to hear a word from you. After everything you told me, the months I spent being unable to sleep in our bed, only to find out that Jefferson had been occupying it instead!"

Y/N flinches at his tone and immediately looks away, hoping no one was able to hear.

Alexander rests his forehead against the door, "You threatened to leave me, Y/N. You threatened to take my children and run! You've no idea how much that pained me! And now we're in that very situation where I should do the same to you. I will take your children from you and flee to New York. I will leave you to raise this... bastard-"

"Alexander, please...!" she begs.

He glares at her and Y/N feels the tears welling up in her eyes.

"After everything we've been through..."

"You have to forgive me-"

"I don't have to do anything...!"

Y/N reaches for him in desperation, "You would have done the same...! You did do the same, Alexander, please...!"

He swiftly backs away, letting her fall to her knees in front of him.

She grabs at his clothing and Alexander looks away in shame.

"But it's not the same..." he whispers. "I didn't impregnate her..."

He looks down at his wife, who was sobbing quietly, "Are any of them even mine...?"

Y/N's eyes widen and he continues, "First it was Lafayette that claimed your heart... and more. And now..."

"Are any of them my children?" he repeats his question.

"Of course they are," she desperately assures him. "This was the only time, I swear. I swear, Alexander, I will never do this again-"

"No, you won't. Not to me," he pulls away and reaches to open the door. "I meant it, Ms. Washington. I'm leaving you."

Y/N whispers, "Please..."

Alexander opens the door and leaves. He doesn't look back, and Y/N finds herself sobbing once more.

》》》》》》

A few days later, Y/N finds herself curled up on the alcove against the window.

She was reading a book. Her father had been gone almost all day, leaving the peace and quiet of the study all to her.

The children were with their grandmother and their governess, and...

And Alexander hadn't been seen in the past few days.

She had no idea where he was. He just got up and left without so much as a goodbye to the children.

The door opens and her father walks in, sweaty and covered in dirt from his excursions.