Express Yourself

It was a dark and stormy night. Damien Harrison was just about to close the food truck when the lone man came with a handful of loose change and a hungry grimace on his face. Damien took one look into those blue eyes and froze.

"Christopher?"

"It's Castiel, actually."

"No, it is you," the old man grabbed Castiel's arm, wrapping him into a tight embrace. "I never thought I would see you again, not till I died too."

Castiel peered at the wrinkled face, ardent green eyes, silver hair. "I'm sorry, I don't know you. Perhaps you lost someone you loved very much."

"Many years ago and you are the spitting image of him. His plane went down, over a harbour in Japan and I moved on, but I never forgot him. I never forgot you, not in all those years."

"Okay, could I please have a hotdog, with ketchup."

As Castiel walked away, his silhouette swallowed up by the darkness of the night, the storm rolled in and Damien gazed into the sea. He thought he saw his partner there, standing on the horizon, aviator's jacket dripping, face sleek with rain. The old man began to shuffle slowly through the headwind, till the tide was as high as his waist and the chill of it woke him from his daze. Damien tried to free himself from the undertow but he was weakened by age and heartbreak. With a curse, Castiel ran into the surf, swam frantically against the dragging waves, till he managed to extract the unconscious man. Sighing, he touched the cold damp forehead, putting what little grace he had left to spare into the human. Castiel's face contorted in the gloom, when Damien woke again, he was staring into the maw of a lion.

* * * * *

The third witness refused to speak to to Dean and Sam. He only smiled at Castiel from a distance and asked his daughter to bring them a tray full of plain hotdogs and half a litre of ketchup.

"It's on the house," she smiled and shrugged. "Dad's in one of his moods. Says he'll talk to your, um, trainee, if he wants to chat but not you guys."

"Do you want to go interview the guy?" Dean asked.

"For some reason, I feel a sense of unease about approaching him," Castiel said.

"Well, Dean, maybe we don't need to talk to Damien, or any of the other witnesses," Sam said. "This is what we know so far: guy with the head of a lion, harmless, goes around stalking guys who look like you."

"Diana..."

"Was born Dane and as beautifully effeminate as she is, she would look the mirror image of you without her makeup," Sam said. "So Cas, tell me, how many angels do you know who manifests a lion's head?"

"That would be a very long list, it's a very useful head to have when you are fighting demons in hell. But Sam, why would any angel put on an animal head on this plane? Unless they were injured. When we are very stressed or low on grace, it can be a challenge to hold on to our vessel. It's like sleep walking, the angel loses control over his or her earthly manifestation."

Dean was staring at Cas now. "Cas, do you wear a lion head in battle or whatever?"

"Sometimes," Castiel narrowed his eyes. "What are you implying."

"You've been in town here for a week or so, just before the Sphinx sightings started?"

"Yes."

"So we are looking for an angel, which you are. With a lion head, which you have. Obsessed with Dean," Sam didn't feel like he needed to say anymore after that summation.

Castiel looked at Sam, then he turned to Dean, the Winchesters stared right back at him.

"We're hunting me," Castiel said.