I Am Right Here

Few months have passed by since they had escaped the biblical hell-like confinement. Since being released they were of course having some difficulty going back to normal. Avior was weary about leaving Starlight for more than 7-8 hours. Starlight being terrified to even look in the direction of a stranger. Avior constantly tells them it's about endurance and grounding, Mostly encourages them to go to a different coffee shop in the area a day until they could last more than 15 minutes in public. Today was different though. Today they were going to go with Avior. Avior had never seen the detrimental effects of their new found anxieties until today.

"Avior, is this shirt okay?" Their voice was low to hide their growing fear. "Of course, love, You look great in anything you put on." He smiled, not a hint of malice or uncertainty, a calm and genuine smile. They decide a response with my voice is unnecessary, so Starlight nods to show him they heard him. They continue running through my order on the way to the shop. They really don't want to blank as soon as they begin to speak. Thinking about blanking leads them to think about their voice cracking, or hair looking misplaced, or the color of their shirt not suiting them, or anything and everything else that could go wrong. Sometimes, They forget Avior was a demon and could feel emotions off their human counterparts. "I know, it's scary, you feel like this is what will be everyone's impression of you for the rest of your life. It feels like if you can't be constantly perfect you will most definitely be shunned and left to die." He stated these facts calmly, like they raised no interest in him. Starlight felt themself begin to spiral, thoughts of Avior no longer liking them because they couldn't help but treat every interaction with the most caution and care they could muster. "But, let's try something this time around. How about when you feel yourself worrying you squeeze my hand, and repeat in your head things like 'nobody will remember this in a day' and 'One mistake will not lead to detrimental reactions.' If that still doesn't work we will try something new another time." Starlight began to feel their eyes tear up, So much care was put into such a little response. So much effort just to try and calm the endless cacophony of worry and fear. They tilt their head down to stop anyone else from seeing the tear that began its pathway down their cheek. Avior noticed this and gently placed his hand on the side of their face. "I am so sorry, Starlight, I should have noticed and began finding ways to help you out way sooner." He looked extremely guilty, almost physically in pain. Starlight's brows furrow and they smile. "It's alright, Avior, I don't mind, thank you for taking this seriously!"

The Coffee shop was crowded and loud. Within 3–4 minutes of being in there Starlight found themself grabbing hard on Avior's hand. Expecting him to either be weirded out or annoyed. They looked up to him and saw him smiling as wide and genuinely he could.

"I promise, Starlight, I am right here."