DeJa Vu

'Nee-san...'
__________________________________
YAMAZAKI AZURA POV

In this world, it's a kill-or-be-killed scenario.

Throughout the night, man-eating demons roamed freely, feasting on unsuspecting victims. The existence of these "demons" had always been dismissed as mere legends, and I, like the majority of people, never believed they were real. That is, until that dreadful night unfolded before my eyes. 

When I finally awoke in a pristine white bed, a man sat beside me, ready to shed light on the events that transpired. I found myself in what seemed to be an infirmary, surrounded by rows of white beds arranged in neat columns.

"Do you understand?" His voice was gentle as he spoke, his presence calming.

"..."

"Azura-chan?"

Ah, yes. Azura Yamazaki, that's my name. I live in a modest cottage with my older sister. According to the man, my sister had undergone a drastic transformation, becoming a man-eating demon. He explained that exposure to the blood of a powerful demon could corrupt humans and turn them into demons as well. However, he emphasized that this ability belonged solely to one powerful demon, Muzan Kibutsuji. It was hard to believe his words, but the evidence before me was too compelling to ignore.

"Yes, I... understand," I managed to croak out amidst my tears. My voice trembled, worn out from crying. My eyes remained swollen and red, and although exhaustion had allowed me to find some sleep the previous night, the image of my sister... no, the demon she had become, continued to haunt my dreams.

"I understand if it's overwhelming for you," said Rengoku-sama as he rose from his seat. "Take some time to rest."

Before he walked away, I reached out and gently tugged at his white haori. He turned his head, a puzzled expression crossing his face.

"I want to be like you."

"Huh?"

"I... I want to be like you. Can I become as strong as you?" My voice wavered, tears streaming down my cheeks. I released his haori, wiping away the tears and sniffling.

"We can discuss that later. For now, focus on resting," he said softly, sighing as he gently patted the top of my head three times.

With that, Rengoku-sama exited the room, leaving behind a comforting silence. I finally managed to calm myself, realizing that crying and harboring hatred toward demons would not bring my sister back. I sighed and leaned back against the soft white pillow, contemplating my surroundings and whether or not to explore the area.

But for now, I decided it was best to conserve my energy. I was simply too exhausted to do anything at the moment.

"Moshi~Moshi~"

A young woman approached, her long straight black hair cascading down to her waist. Her eyes, a gentle shade of violet, slanted at the corners of her face, gleaming with tiny white sparkles. Two butterfly-shaped hairpins adorned each side of her head, one green and the other pink.

Her voice carried warmth and comfort as she greeted me, holding a tray with onigiri (rice balls) and a cup of water.

"How are you feeling?" she asked with genuine concern.

"I'm not sure..." I replied, settling back down and leaning against the headboard of the bed.

"I see," she responded, placing the tray on the bedside table. "Please eat, Azura-chan, if you're hungry."