"Can't buy me love"

Out of all the advice and well-wishes you received before the birth of your daughter, the most common was a warning about sleep (and how you weren’t going to get it). 

“Say goodbye to sleeping for about a year.” 

“Get ready to be tired all the time.” 

“The hardest part will be the sleep deprivation.” 

While it was true, you weren’t getting enough sleep, the lack of rest didn’t really bother you too much. Maybe the four years you spent working late nights and hopping time zones on a weekly (and sometimes daily) basis had something to do with how easily you adjusted. 

Though it certainly didn’t hurt to have a routine worked out ahead of time, either.

At night, when Julia began to cry, you would get up to feed and soothe her back to sleep. Aaron made sure the drawer of your nightstand was always stocked with granola bars for when she settled and you returned to bed in need of a snack. He would kiss your shoulder and wrap his arm around you again, the two of you drifting off once more until the next time she cried. 

In the mornings, Aaron would rise and take over so you could sleep. He fed her and changed her and spent whatever time he could with her. Before it got too cold, he liked to take her outside to look at the colorful leaves and (if it was early enough) to watch the sunrise. 

This morning, by the time you were up and dressed, you found them in the living room. 

Aaron held Julia in his arms, her head nestled in the crook of his elbow as he turned her towards the window. He pointed at various things in the backyard, speaking softly to her. 

“Those are trees,” He said, “Let’s count them– one, two, three, four.” 

She made a small noise, her onesie-covered feet kicking in response. 

“That’s right, sweet girl,” He said, looking down at her. “One, two, three, four.” 

A floorboard creaked as you moved closer, drawing his gaze to you. Smiling, Aaron turned so Julia could see you too. Her bright eyes found you and a big, toothless smile stretched across her chubby face. 

“And there’s Mommy,” Aaron said, bringing her over to you. 

“Hi, baby,” You greeted, taking Julia into your arms and leaning down to pepper kisses all over her face. 

She kicked her feet again, her hands batting softly at your cheeks. You straightened, turning your attention back to your husband. He leaned in to kiss you softly, pressing his lips to yours once, then twice, then three times. 

“Well, good morning.” You smiled as you pulled away. 

“Good morning,” He returned, leaning in for one more kiss before you headed towards the kitchen.

You bounced gently on the balls of your feet, doing what you and Aaron had affectionately termed “the baby dance,” while he got started on breakfast. The eggs were nearly cooked and the toast had just popped up in the toaster when Jack came barreling downstairs. He dropped his backpack at the entrance to the kitchen, sliding across the tile in his socks.