XII.

chapter twelve:
THE NEW GIRL

•••

   TWO MONTHS LATER, and Finn and Grace had chosen to accept the fact that they had no say in the matter. They were now only three days every two weeks at their mother's. And no one is telling them why. No matter how much they beg and plead for an explanation.

   Luckily, during Christmas break, they had spend one week at their mother's and one week at their father's. Like it should be.

    School started again and with that the meetings of the babysitters club too. The first meeting back, and the group of five, minus Mary Anne, sat around Claudia's room waiting for the clock to hit five.

   "So, what do you think?" Grace smiled as she showed her friends her new shoes. The Mary Jane's she had been saving up for since forever.

  "I'm officially in love," Claudia squealed, her eyes fixed on the black platform shoes.

   "Same," Stacey said. "Literally, hand me the marriage papers right now and I'll sign without hesitation,"

   "I know, they are great, right?" Grace smiled, looking down at her feet.

   "What do you think, Kristy?" Grace twirled around, facing the other friend who was present in the room.

   Kristy squinted her eyes together and looked Grace up and down, surveying her entire outfit. Grace had styled her new shoes with a pair of wide, blue jeans and a green, long sleeved tee. She also wore a pair of cute white socks and had her hair done in in a half up, half down updo, her hair finally being long enough for it now.

   Kristy scrunched her nose. "They look... uncomfortable," She admitted, honestly.

   "That's true," Grace said as she took the pair of shoes off. She only put them on inside the house because Stacey and Claudia had begged to see them. "But it's worth it, tho,"

   "What's you size?"  Claudia inquired.

   "I'm a six," Grace answered, sitting down on the girl's bed.

   "Oh bummer, I'm a five," Claudia pouted. "I really hoped I could have stolen them,"

   "Hey guys," Mary Anne said, suddenly standing in the doorway. But she wasn't alone. Next to her stood the new girl. The same one Grace had seen Mary Anne sit with a few weeks ago at lunch. She still didn't know her name.

   "Hey," The new girl spoke up. "I'm Dawn,"

   Oh, Dawn is her name. Way better name than Dominique, to be honest.

    "Yes, we know," Kristy grumbled. "What is she doing here, Mary Anne?" She asked, dismissing Dawn completely.

   Grace rolled her eyes. Of course Kristy was going to be a pain in ass about this. She wouldn't be Kristy Thomas if she wouldn't.

   "She wanted to check out the club," Mary Anne explained, looking for the other girls for support.

   "As President, all guests should be run by me." Kristy snapped. "It's in the bylaws,"