Chapter 2 | A Hearing

Neera was surprised to find that the room beneath the statue was about the same size as the room in which hearings were conducted for criminals. And it was packed with enough people to fill the Wizengamot. The room was constructed similarly, with bleacher-style seats, one raised above the rest at the front where a single person sat, all built around a circle in the centre where Neera was instructed to sit.

"Welcome to the Order of Shadows." The leader of the Order was getting to their feet, and they stared down at Neera, wearing a mask that was identical to hers. It was truly unnerving to have nothing that could help you identify a person. "I am our leader, Hex, and it is my job as the leader of the Order of Shadows to conduct the process of initiation that will allow you to formally join our elite ranks."

Neera nodded and gripped the hands of her wooden seat. For some reason, she felt like a criminal.

"Please extend your dominant hand."

Neera extended her hand obediently.

"Give it to her."

Another Order member stood from their seat and walked over to where Neera sat, placing a single crystal orb in her hand. It sparked as it came in contact with her fingers, and to Neera's surprise, it felt as though she could feel the cool kiss of the orb against her fingers. It seemed to cloud over inside with black smoke, though Neera could still see a single needle-point-small light source in the very centre of it which shone out like a thousand suns.

"This will be your communication beacon," Hex said. "Now, if you are willing to join our order, please repeat these words after me." 

"Wait." Neera looked up from the enchanting orb and looked up at Hex. "Why me?"

Hex stared back at her. "We do not know. The fountain is the one that chooses who it deems worthy of entering our ranks. If it chose you, that means that you have a special skill or skills that it thinks would be beneficial to our unit. We protect the magical and non-magical communities from all threats." Hex raised their hand and a silver image appeared in front of Neera.

"Grindelwald?"

Hex nodded. "Yes. We were there when Grindelwald threatened to expose our kind to the non-magical world, and we worked alongside other wizards and witches to prevent our exposure. We were there during the first wizarding war against Voldemort, and now that Potter and Dumbledore claim that he has returned, it is our job to ensure that Voldemort does not gain power."

Neera nodded slowly, wondering if she could commit to this. She had always dreamed of doing something more than just sitting in her office, waiting for the day that someone would once again dream of having complete power over the world as Grindelwald had, and now, Voldemort was back. 

'What would Rose say if she knew,' Neera thought with a slight chuckle. The Gryffindor would probably jump straight in with both feet.

"I will join your ranks."

Neera could hear the smile in Hex's voice when they spoke. "Wonderful. Now, please rise and repeat these words after me. 'I pledge myself to work alongside the Order of Shadows in complete secrecy to prevent any harm from coming to the wizarding and non-magical communities. Should a threat arise, I will step forward and do all I can to prevent any harm from coming to this world'."

"I pledge myself to work alongside the Order of Shadows in complete secrecy to prevent any harm from coming to the wizarding and non-magical communities. Should a threat arise, I will step forward and do all I can to prevent any harm from coming to this world."

"I give my word in the form of an unbreakable vow that I shall not disclose any information received within the Order of Shadows, except to the others within the Order if I am instructed to pass on information. I will not seek to try and discover the identities of my fellow Order members and shall keep every secret that  I am entrusted with."