Chapter 5

They link arms with me and start dragging me out the door. I look back at Thor and he smiles and laughs. We go to the mall and they have lots of gown stores. They hand me a long gown with a red top with off the shoulder sleeves and ruffles with a blush tull skirt and gold embroidered gold flowers. I put it in and come back out to show them.
“You look like a princess!” Wanda says eyes gleaming
“I am a princess” I laugh
“Seriously you look beautiful” Natasha says
“So it’s good?”
“Yes!” They say in unison
“What about your dresses?” I ask heading back to the dressing room
“We already have dresses” Natasha say
I change and come back out “can we go get food? I’m hungry”
Natasha laughs “sure. We can go to the food court”
We go to the food court and order something called ramen. It’s delicious.
“So are you taking Steve as a date?” Natasha says leaning across the tables.
A noodle shoots out my nose “what?”
Wanda looks at Natasha and smiles “We all see your blooming romance”
I choke on my spit “romance? There’s no romance”
“Sure there’s not” Natasha says laughing
After we eat we go get our hair, nails, and make up done then go back to the compound to get dressed. After I put on my dress I look at the llama and picture on my dresser and shake my head. I stuff it in the drawer with the books and horse magazines I’m saving for Loki. I’m not following my own advice. I’m getting attached; but they make me feel so happy, more than I’ve been in a long time at least.
I go downstairs and Steve’s jaw drops “you look pretty”
I blush “you look pretty too” he laughs and I get redder “I mean handsome”
Everyone else gathers and we take a limousine to the venue. About an hour after we get there I get really bored. I awkwardly stand by the food table and eat tortilla chips with cheese fondue on them.
Across the room Steve and Sam are standing around not doing much. “You should ask her to dance” Sam says to Steve
Steve rubs the back of his neck “she looks busy”
Sam looks at him weirdly “she’s literally just eating fondue”
“The devils cheese” Steve mutters under his breath
I sigh and look down at my tortilla chips
“You look bored” Natasha smiles at me and holds out her hand “want to dance with me?”
I laugh “sure”
After about a song and a half Steve taps Natasha on the shoulder “would you mind if I cut in?”
Natasha slyly smiles at me “not at all” she walks over to Wanda
Steve and I start dancing and he keeps stepping in my toes “I’m sorry” he says every time
I laugh “it’s fine” I pause and look into his big blue eyes “I always pegged you as a dancing guy though”
He looks down at me and smiles “back in my day we asked people to dance when we liked them, and nobody ever liked me”
I try and hide a smile “you asked me to dance”
“Maybe I like you” we smile at each other and he leans down to kiss me. I wanted so badly to let it happen, but I can’t.
I put my hands on his chest and lightly push him back “don’t” I say softly looking down at the ground
He looks at me shocked and confused and my heart breaks a little. My voice cracks a little as tears well up in my eyes, I try desperately to keep it together “we can’t. I have to go back to Asgard soon”
He looks at me sadly “we could make it work couldn’t we? At least for now”
I turn my back to him so he can’t see me start to cry and try to pretend not to care “I don’t know. I just don’t know” I start leaving the room “I’ll see you at the compound”
I walk outside crying and Wanda sees me from around the corner “What happened?” She asks concerned
I wipe my tears and sniffle “I don’t want to talk about it” I open a portal big enough for my hand and pull out some Asgardian mead “I need a drink”
She walks me to the Uber she ordered “we can just go home and watch a movie”
“Which movie?” I ask taking a sip from the bottle
She looks at me happily “The greatest showman”
I look at her like she has three heads “The what?”
She giggles “Oh your going to love this”

Steve’s POV
It’s been 2 hours since y/n left. I want to go check on her because I’m worried about her, but I know I need to give her space. I shouldn’t have done that. I probably ruined everything. I feel my phone in my pocket buzz and grab it out as quickly as I can hoping it’s y/n. I open the message, it’s Wanda, she sent me a video. I watch the video; it’s y/n badly singing a million dreams in her pajamas. Wanda then sends a message that says “You might want to come home. She seems kind of tipsy” that was a nice way to put it. I let Thor know and know and we order an Uber back to the compound.

Y/n’s POV
I continue to dance around the living room while Wanda laughs then hear the door open. Steve and Thor come in and Thor stands cracking up.
Steve starts walking me to my room “come on. You need to sleep”
We start walking by the bathroom and I realize I need to throw up. I run in leaving the door open and start vomiting. Steve follows me in and holds my hair back for me. He’s sweeter than I deserve especially not that I’ve ruined everything, but what other choice do I have?
The next morning I wake up on the floor with a French braid in my hair and some water bottles on the ledge of the sink. I feel the braid. Steve must have braided my hair before he went to bed so it would be out of my way when I got sick. I smile and get showered and dressed. I go downstairs to get something to eat and see Steve eating a bagel
“Hey” I awkwardly say
He tenses up “hello”
“About last night-“ I want to say that I do want to be with him but I just don’t know how “Thanks”
He smiles “of course”
I take a deep breath “maybe we could make it work, for now at least” my head tells me that it’s a mistake but my heart says it’s what I want
He looks confused for a minute then he smiles “maybe we could”