CHAPTER TWO

(the wax seal)

Sunlight was flooding Daphne's bedroom the next morning when Pansy finally woke up. The curtains were billowing under the breeze from the open window, and each shift of the curtain let more light in.

Pansy threw one of her hands up to block her eyes and let out a quiet string of curses. Sleeping in always threw her off, but it was hard to wake up when she was awake most of the night.

"Do you want to go to Draco's later?" Daphne whispered from her bed a few minutes later, once Pansy pulled her hand away from her face.

Pansy lolled her head to the side and considered Daphne's question carefully. "Why?" she eloquently followed up.

"Lorelei was released from the hospital," she whispered. "They're hosting a little party to get everyone together again in honor of that."

"Who's everyone?"

"Draco, Lorelei, Millicent, Briar, Neville, Theo...and then us possibly?"

Pansy shrugged. "Why not?"

"Great," Daphne grinned. "I'll let them know we can make it."

She hopped out of bed and moved towards the door in one, fluid motion. Daphne wasn't necessarily a ray of sunshine, but sometimes she felt pretty close to the sun with her quiet hope and determination. She was steady and sure, and Pansy needed someone like her to model her New Year's resolutions after.

While Daphne went off, writing Draco back, an owl flew into the open bedroom window, carrying a message for her this time. Chills crept down her arms.

Jet black with red feathers only on the front of its face, the owl belonged to the only person who ever cared to contact her these days. She could count on these daily letters to find her wherever she was, no matter the distance traveled or the circumstances she found herself in.

After plucking off the black envelope attached to its scrawny leg, Pansy shooed the bird away, always electing to use a different owl to send her message back.

Today's letter was just like all the others, a message stuffed full of encouragement and deep questions. She could always count on her pen pal to flood her with comments about her apparent perfection, singing her praises far beyond what she thought reasonable. Although she figured this might be because of her aforementioned self-esteem issues and denial of her problems.

She reread the message three times before she sat down with her own pad of paper and her quill. She poured over every word before she replied, to let her stomach stop its writhing motion before she sent along the finalized draft.

Good morning GR,

Ichor flew away rather quickly today, but she looked tired, and her feathers were sagging more than usual. You're welcome to let her have a break. You don't need to write me each day, as I've already told you.

But, since you insist on writing to me each day, I'm happy to write back.

Thank you for the lovely song you wrote for me. It was very sweet. Did you come up with those lyrics on your own?

I'm doing well, but no, I have not heard from my father still. It's funny that you ask because I was just thinking about him last night. It was one of those moments where you look at the night sky and wonder who else may be looking at it.

You still haven't replied to my question about your parents though. Are you close with them? I'd love to hear more about them.

It's so strange to me that news of the war has been so widely followed in your area, especially as far north as you are. It feels like each wizarding community is so isolated, but I forget that we're more connected than I think. But I'm sorry, as much as I appreciate your concern and your interest in my affairs, I'm not ready to talk about what I experienced during the battle.

I'm sorry. I know it's something I need to work on. You've shown me nothing but reasons to trust you, but still, I've been burned too many times, GR.

Please give Ichor a break tomorrow, and I'd love to hear more about your week. Why don't we discuss what's on your mind this time?

With love,
Pansy

She finalized her reply and closed it up with the pretty forest green wax Daphne kept in her bedroom for creating envelope seals. Once she was done with that, she slipped from Daphne's bedroom towards their family's own owlery to see which bird might be available to deliver her message. A midnight-colored bird with feathers a shade between black and navy had sad eyes when it looked at her. She decided to choose that bird to send along her message.

"Who is that to?" Daphne asked, leaning against the doorway casually while the owl flew off with her letter in tow.

"Oh, just an old childhood friend." Pansy smiled. "He's been wanting to catch up lately. Kind boy."

Pansy hoped Daphne wouldn't remember Pansy saying that she never hung out with boys as a child, much-preferring girls' company at that age. She couldn't tell if Daphne suspected anything as she brushed past her, but she swore Daphne's eyes might have narrowed ever-so-slightly as they watched the bird fly in the opposite direction of Pansy's childhood home.

//