On the Road Again

The summer ocean glistened with diamonds from the scorching midday sun. Though far below the high mountains, the dancing waters became a tantalizing sight for the four individuals stuck in the sweltering automobile.

Fingers freed from the encaged cast danced along the open window, following the pattern of the impending waves. Oh, what one would do to dip in the calm waters.

"How much longer?"

Nisha turned away from the beautiful view to look towards the source of the whining voice near her.

"Maria, you've asked that question at least seven times. So we will get there soon."

"What do you know, Nisha? We left Florence by sunrise, and yet there is no sign of our destination."

"I don't know about you, but driving up the side of a mountain is not an easy feat. So we should take our time. Besides, your shrill voice is not helping matters."

The taller girl crossed her arms. "You're one to talk. Why don't you just keep quiet and allow the guys to speak instead of interjecting all the time?"

"You're distracting them! I don't want to fall victim to a fatal accident because Arturo is paying attention to you instead of the road."

"You're just jealous that he'll pay attention to me." Cognac eyes rolled as Maria flipped her straight chestnut locks in triumph.

Nisha picked up her mystery novel, her eyes focusing on the words instead of her friend's antics, "Trust me, I do not want his attention."

"Ladies, silenzio. Bickering in the back will do nothing to make this drive quicker." Blue eyes looked towards the young ladies through the rearview mirror. Arturo did his best to focus on the road, but Nisha was correct about Maria's voice. She had been complaining since they left the city and entered the countryside.

Truth be told, it was tiresome to be stuck in a car with several other people, heavy cargo in tow, while heading to an unknown destination. Arturo prided himself in knowing just about every crevice and corner of Italy.

Except for the Mendola Manor. And it didn't help that his navigator seemed to not know how to read a map.

"How many more miles are we heading up?" They passed three roadways to head into different sections of the mountain, but apparently, the manor was at the very top.

The sound of crinkling paper readjusting did not make Arturo feel confident.

"By the looks of it, soon."

"How soon, Enys?" Platinum blonde hair stuck out from the map, a steely gaze was directed to the driver.

"I don't know. Perhaps in the next half hour or so. Would you like to switch?"

Ruby lips let out a snort, "With you? Never. Just learn how to read a map properly. It seems to take up a lot of your time."

"Look here, you clown. I can't help if you're a bad driver."

"Who are you calling a clown?!"

"Guys, stop it! Can't you ever behave like the adults you are?" Nisha watched both men with an annoyed gaze.

This was not how a nice getaway was supposed to start.

The only reason they were even heading out so far away from the real world (as Maria dramatically put it) was because of a letter she had received a week prior. Before heading back to England for her studies, Maria was asked to visit her Great-aunt Giulia Mendola in her manor to discuss an important matter.

Maria naturally thought that this meaningful discussion had to do with money, so she was willing to go the extra mile to visit the old lady. With her great-aunt's permission, she invited her friends to join and keep her company.