Duncan (TDI) - Hanahaki Disease // Part 2 M

Male reader

Hurt/Comfort, Angst

Summary: y/n has had feelings for Duncan ever since they started the show, but he never acted on them because 1. He wasn't out to the other campers, and 2. He didn't want to ruin his friendship with Duncan. And then of course..Duncan liked Courtney. Well, atleast that's what Y/n thought....

Hanahaki Disease (花吐き病 (Japanese); 하나하키병 (Korean); 花吐病 (Chinese)) is a fictional disease where the victim of unrequited or one-sided love begins to vomit or cough up the petals and flowers of a flowering plant growing in their lungs, which will eventually grow large enough to render breathing impossible (- Wikipedia)

TW: mentions of death, blood, cursing, hanahaki disease.

1st person POV

Previously...

I hesitantly nodded, before taking a deep breathe.

"...Duncan."

****

DJ and Bridget's eyes widened, and I grew nervous. 'Will they accept me...?'

But to my surprise, Bridget pulled me into a tight hug, DJ joining soon after. "I'm glad you told us...." She said, voice slightly muffled by my shirt. "W-wait, so you're not mad?"

"Why would we be? We support you no matter what, y/n." DJ said, and a large smile spread on my face. "I love you guys..." I smiled, hugging them back tightly. they smiled back, returning the hug aswell. "Love you too.."

****

It's been about a week since that point. DJ and Bridget were the only ones aware of my Hanahaki, and it was quite a relief to have all the support they've given me. However the disease itself has only been getting worse.

Duncan and Courtney keep flirting with each-other more and more, and the petals have become bigger and seemingly multiplied. It's becoming easier to see aswell. My eye bags are more visible, as I've been sleeping much less. It's been harder to eat, which combined with lack of sleep and constantly throwing up blood was hurting me, both physically and mentally. 

My mental state has gotten excessively worse. I've tried to stay positive, but it's almost useless. I knew this disease may as well be the death of me. There are only 2 known cures to Hanahaki disease: 

1. The other person returning your feelings, which by the looks of it isn't gonna happen anytime soon, or

2. Getting the flowers growing in my lungs surgically removed,  also removing any sort of human emotions.

Now I know neither of these are possible. First of all Duncan is straight and obviously likes Courtney. And then for the surgery, even if I was willing to go through with it I don't have the money. The only way to get money is to win it in the challenge- but if I get even close to the finale seeing Duncan and Courney together would've killed me already. 

So I'm going with the 3rd unlisted option, "ignore it and await until my inevitable death." 

As much as I wish Duncan would return the feelings, he seems really happy with Courtney and I don't want to ruin that. I mean, as long as he's happy it'll be worth it, right? As much as I don't want to die yet, I also don't want to be a burden. 

We were now currently sitting in the cabins. We only just finished dinner, and all went back to settle down for the night. DJ, Geoff and Duncan were all chatting to themselves as Harold snored loudly. I sat on my bunk, reading a graphic novel I brought from home.