CHAPTER ELEVEN | CAN'T TURN BACK NOW

Raya was back at North High School, not as the spirited girl she was but a shell of the girl that she used to be.

Howie figured that she still felt stung about her step-mother not actually being interested in her or that her biological father allowed it go on even after meeting with them for a few days before she figured moving to New York with them would be fun. Despite the terrible aftermath, he was just grateful that his dearest friend gained sisters out of that.

Speaking of which, Adelaide had fully recovered from her surgery, and none of them had ever seen Raya so happy about something other than the time she found out that she wasn't going to the foster system but was actually going to be adopted by the Caswells instead.

All was well until Zack Roy had waited for Sunset Curve to leave the classroom full of thespians and forced them to stay behind.

"So, I couldn't help but overhear Raya and Taylor's conversation earlier," Zack suddenly announced. "East High School is entering the Menkies."

"We found out a week ago," Edith commented, looking around the room befote she continued, "I don't see why that's an issue, Mr. Roy."

"Because they could potentially beat us there?" Sarah replied.

Howie shrugged. "So what? How are you going to sabotage them?"

"We already have a spy on the inside, and it's not our beloved Sunset Curve due to their loyalty to them," the Drama teacher told Howie before he clapped his hands together. "And, as I have said earlier, auditions are tomorrow so be prepared everyone."

Before he could leave the classroom, Howie, along with Antoine, was called back by Zack, only to get told, "Don't tell the band about this, alright?"

The two boys could only hope that they would be forgiven once they were found out by them.

Raya wiped her hands on a cloth as she approached Howie at Slices, whispering to him, "So, what song are you singing for auditions? Who are you even auditioning for?"

"I, well, I'll probably end up as a side character again."

"Howie, you gotta put yourself out there sometimes. Which role do you want?"

Howie bowed his head before telling her, "I want to be the lead too, the way you are."

"Then go for it. I'd pretty much would rather be the lead with you by my side than anyone else," she told him before she went to get her things. "And I'm clocking out. Good luck, H."

"You too, R."

As soon as Raya left, Robin arrived with a tray filled with plates and bits of leftover in his hands, saying, "Raya's right about going for it. Don't tell her I said that though."

Howie chuckled. "Alright, I won't."

"And if anyone can be the Beast, it's you," Robin told him before he got back to work.

Raya stood with Howie, Lily, Sammy, Taylor, and Gwen as they watched Antoine's audition, the boy singing Words Fail with all of his heart. Howie glanced at Raya, almost terrified, and asked her, "Are you sure that I—"

"H, you never know if you'll get it until you try," she told him, putting a hand on his shoulder. "You got this, okay? We went through our lines, our audition songs, and all we gotta do is our best, yeah?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah."

Raya nudged him forward, urging him by saying, "So get out there, and show Mr. Roy why you should be the one yo play the Beast."